Nasty Apple Logo along with Genius Bar Support

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Inspired, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Inspired macrumors regular

Inspired

So yesterday I went out on a study date with my brother, and girlfriend. My brother noticed that there was something wrong with the apple logo on my MBP. He noticed a blot not lighting up. I wish Macrumors had a feature for me to upload pictures. But in person it looks like there's a GIANT piece of dirt blocking the logo so there's like parts of it that is not illuminating.

I set up a Genius Bar appointment today, what do you guys think will happen? My biggest fear is the Genius telling me that they cant do anything about it and sending me home. What do you guys think?
    -:apple:

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Take a photo and click the paperclip icon to upload it.

3. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

ok i uploaded, i hope this works.Thanks for the heads up.

Attached Files:

4. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

the dark spot is MUCH more apparent in person.

5. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Looks like there is some dirt or something on the plastic logo.

6. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

how do you think the genius's would treat this situation?

7. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

If they agree to fix it they will need to replace the entire LCD. The plastic insert is part of the back alumunum panel and these displays don't unscrew like the pre-unibody MacBook Pro's do. Thats my understanding anyway.

8. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

awww man! I dont want to leave my mbp there, I need it tonight to get my work done. -_-

9. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

If they have parts on hand they may be able to get it done for you but its hard to say. I can replace the LCD in a pre-unibody model in about 30 minutes but I haven't tried it on a unibody model.

10. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

just called the apple store I will be heading to, the woman said it will probably take 3-4 days to get a new display.

11. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

That's normal.

Sign up for ProCare at $99/Year if you're that desperate. It puts you on Apple's fast track repairs.

12. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

is there a link you can direct me to for more information on ProCare, I am fairly new to the world of apple and this is the first I've heard about ProCare. Thanks for the heads up!

13. bizzle macrumors 6502a

If you need your machine for work why are you concerned about a cosmetic issue? It's not a defect of the machine.

14. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

I need it for work, yet I want it to look good as well, I'm sure many can relate.

15. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I don't think many people are gonna relate to you about this. Not because no one cares about how their computer looks, it's because you sound in desperation and this issue should be put far on the back burner until you have plenty of free time and can do without your notebook for a couple of days while in repair. You can't see the dust spec yourself while using the computer so it's not really that big of a deal. Just get it fixed when you can.
    BTW, an easy tying of the word "Procare" on Apple's website brought this up. Try to help yourself a little more once someone gives you a recommendation. Not fair if you want to them to give you the recommendation and the link to guide you there. But here ya go.

http://www.apple.com/retail/procare/

16. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Until I read this thread I never actually looked at my "apple". I mean it's on the back of the screen from where all the good stuff is. ;)

Mine is nice and bright though. :apple: Sorry. :(

17. SA22C macrumors regular

Nah, I just had my Macbook Pro serviced for dead pixels caused by dirt under the glass on the LCD and they replaced the entire top lid and hinge assembly. It's (supposed to be) a sealed unit.

I really doubt that the OP will get a replacement just for a cosmetic issue on the Apple logo though.

18. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

https://www.apple.com/retail/procare/

19. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

Actually, they are getting me a replacement, the Apple Genius apologized for the defect and said they do have several "clamshells" in hand, but I asked them if it's ok for me to bring it back on the weekend, he agreed. The only catch is, they said it will take 3-4 days for repair. So I will bring it to them on friday and hope to get a new clamshell by monday. Good service, I love you apple.

20. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

I wasn't fully expecting to get a replacement, it's not a HUGE issue to me, I am honestly more worried that if the dirt does lead to any problems with the LCD in the future, I dont want it to be called an "accidental damage", I rather have it be acknowledged now than have it bite me in the behind a few months down the line. The apple genius understood what i had to say and I appreciated it.