Nasty Keychain Bug

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by heyadrian, Aug 15, 2013.

1. heyadrian macrumors member

I came across an undocumented bug yesterday which is horribly annoying.

Don't try and reproduce it, it'll just infuriate you lol

When I did was:

1) Got drunk
    2) Had a great idea to change my login password
    3) Forgot what it was this morning
    4) Reset it using my iCloud back to what it normally is
    5) Log in
    6) Keychain tells me it's reset itself so I've lost my passwords. it also wants me to choose if I want to 'create a new keychain', 'carry on and ignore', 'use the existing one'
    7) I close 'use the existing one' but it asked for that unknown login again
    8) Cancel does work, but it pops up again over and over and over. So cancel doesn't work.
    9) Was unable to find the process to kill it
    10) tried to log out and wham. Everything else (other than keychain) was hung with the colour wheel

I had to literally force power-down to get out of that! :D

Moral of the story? Don't get drunk and change passwords :D haha

2. Frign macrumors member

That looks like a really nasty problem. I would recommend to file a bug-report to Apple and reinstall your system (which is not hard with Mac OS X, if you know which folders to copy).

I couldn't believe it myself, but they actually read the bug-reports. :D

Good luck!

3. heyadrian thread starter macrumors member

yeah I filed a bug report :D lol. but thinking about it, actually finding out such a bug isn't common as it's pretty much in the rarest place one goes in OSX :D

Luckily I didn't have to re-install. I just rebooted, entered in a wrong password 3 times and reset it again. This time I created a new keychain :D

Only problem is EVERY password (even mail, messages, Skype etc...) is lost. Thats both on the Mac and the iPhone LOL!

great, so I've got about 40 accounts plus all over the place to punch in my overly complex password haha :D

Anyway, what's up with that:

In your first quote? For some reason it comes up as a bunch of escape characters etc... on my system.. is it an add-on etc...?