Nat problem with Airport Express, Leopard OS X 10.5.2 and Azureus

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Nucks, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Nucks macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've read a number of threads related to nat problems with a variety of operating systems but none of the ideas seem to work for me, or I am implementing them incorrectly.

It doesn't seem like such a difficult problem and I'm sure it is just a case of selecting a few control panel options and so on.

Problem: nat problem in azureus when connected wirelessly through airport express (circa 2006).

Equipment: some sort of Motorola cable modem, OS X 10.5.2, recent version of azureus, macbook 2.2ghz, airport express from early 2006.

When connected and downloading wirelessly, I get a red firewalled symbol and yellow smilies, never green.

When connected directly to the cable modem, I have no nat problem and get green smilies all the time.

Therefore, something to do with airport express.

Many of the answers I've seen posted apply to Tiger but many of the control panels in Leopard are different.

Many of the answers say to log in to your router (I assume that would be my cable modem) by typing in some sort of IP address into safari. This has never done anything for me, it does not connect to anything. I suppose the numbers suggested could be wrong for my cable modem or something else is amiss. If the numbers are incorrect, how do I determine the correct numbers?

I have allowed azureus to accept connections in the security control panel.

One type of answer I've heard is that both the cable modem and the airport express are acting as routers (whatever that means) and so you have to eliminate that behaviour from one or the other to solve the nat problem.

If that is what I have to do, I'm going to need a better explanation than the ones I've seen because as I said earlier, I'm unable to log on to my cable modem.

So, what do I do?

Cheers,

Jim

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

I've had the same problem (off and on) with Azureus over the years.

The only guaranteed way for me to make sure the incoming port would work was to map it manually myself.

This might help:
    http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Apple/AirPortExtreme/Azureus.htm
    (the screenshots might be a little off for the current Airport software, but the general idea is there)

In my case, my modem was definitely not acting as a router/firewall, and during the times that Azureus couldn't automatically map ports for me, other programs on my Mac were able to (like Transmission), so I figured the problem was either with the Airports firmware (which i updated each time Apple released an update) or the version of Azureus I was using at the time (which also gets frequent updates).

Good luck! :)

3. macleod199 macrumors 6502

NAT-PMP (the open/apple equivalent of UPnP) was broken with Airport firmware 7.2.x, may be what you were seeing.

To the original poster - have you enabled NAT-PMP in Azureus? Try searching for it in the options.

4. Nucks thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that I have it enabled.

I'm trying to get this figured out on another website's discussion group and not having much success.

I've been told to set my airport express' IP address to a certain address and then set a range of IP addresses.

When I try this I get a message saying the IP addresses i've entered are incompatible with my WAN IP address.

I'm stumped.

I don't have a NAT problem when I plug the ethernet cable directly into the computer from the cable modem so it is an airport express thing but info is hard to come by.