Natal to become Xbox 720?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by sikkinixx, Jun 12, 2009.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174762

An interesting rumor, backed up by little but its out there. It kind of makes sense. Release a new system for $400 or whatever that is a bit more powerful than the current 360 but comes standard with motion control (so every user will have it) while continuing to make 360 games since it would be backwards compatible. DS -> DSi like. A bit better in all the ways.

2. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

From the looks of things they still have a lot of work to do. You have to wear something neon-colored at the moment, and it still gets a bit wonky judging from E3 and Jimmy Fallon.

3. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

well they did just buy the tech, its gonna take some time. Only a year to announce, prep, and market a major launch doesn't seem like enough time... Plus do they really wanna leave the 360 behind already? I mean, it will be 5 years come next fall but PS3 and 360 games are looking better and better so how much of a difference will there be?

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

^^^ supposed to be 360 compatible.

Interesting...

MS is copying Nintendo's Wii Console (a slight upgrade to the GameCube with a motion controller)... :eek:

:rolleyes:

Well, there's the hope that they copy the Wii's price tag as well... :)

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Could be interesting. It'll be interesting to see - I'm not sure how developers are going to take this news though. I mean when designing a game do you design for the Xbox Natal and its incremental power increase, or the 25 million existing xbox 360 users ?

I'm not sure if incremental power difference is 'enough'.

I'd rather a proper new console altogether to be honest, that was backwards compatible, but offered 'substantial' increase in power rather than baby steps.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd rather see a whole new Xbox. There's so much that needs fixing; make it much quieter, more powerful graphics card (1080p in all games?), faster at doing tasks like getting to the menu from powering it on and getting faster into a game.

I can't imagine them achieving this with a minor update.

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

No you don't. The jumpsuits on Jimmy Fallon were for entertainment value. Contrary to reports, they're not required for Natal.

"Actually, the red jumpsuits were just for laughs," a Microsoft spokesperson told Kotaku. "The Jimmy Fallon crew wanted something funny for the guests to wear and decided on red jumpsuits and turtlenecks. We just wonder if the red jumpsuits will start a new fashion trend."

http://kotaku.com/5288145/project-natal-does-not-require-red-jump-suits-to-play

8. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

I play computer games to get away from all that moving around bollocks, thats why I have an XBox not a Wii. If I wanted exercise I'd go outside.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

But it isn't exercise for exercise's sake. It's about immersion and augmented reality. That's why we didn't see a sports game during the Natal presentation. Much like Brain Training on the DS all the market needs is one decent sport/exercise game and we have that with Wii Fit. So don't worry about it :p

10. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Problem is, Nintendo has shown that you can make a metric **** tonne of money by making a cheaper system that isn't much more powerful. We all know MS (and Sorny) REALLLLLLY want that money and if this idea were to be true, it's a way of trying to get it.

The more I think about it, the more I kind of like it. If the system is cheap (~$300) and provides an increase on 360 graphics akin to the gamecube -> Wii but adds more focus on downloadable stuff, motion and media centre I think it would be cool. Kotaku had an article "when does the 360 stop being called a gaming console?" since it multitasks so much with movies, downloads, twitter, facebook, netflix etc. Maybe the new "arcade" version doesn't even come with a controller and is just used as a media centre and casual box whereas the "pro" bundle keeps a 360 controller with more storage and the such.

11. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Actually... the turtlenecks+jumpsuits was all just a joke. Or at least that's what they say.......

12. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Idk, at E3 the one guy was wearing a god-awful orange sweatshirt, so i assumed bright colors were required at this stage of development.
    It doesnt matter, with MS its hard to tell if they are telling the truth or not.

13. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

When J Allard(Microsoft's surgically altered fat guy) introduced the 360 at E3 years back, while laying down on the stage might I add, he called it a "media center." This has been MS's goal since last century. Tech-TV even had a bit about the XBox and how MS introduced it as a media-center originally, but no one would develop for it, so they reworked it as a game console.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well with the forthcoming SKY TV integration for UK + Ireland, the 360 in my room will be able to act as a extra SKY box without costing me the extra €15/£10 for multi-room.

The 360 also work's just as good as Apple TV, saving some more € there too.

So yeah, it certainly is more media centre'esque however the noiseiness of the machine in general is it's biggest downfall (as well as RROD which I thankfully have avoided since Dec 2005)....

So here's really hoping that Xbox NATAL is 'silent running ', the redesign finally sorts out any RROD issues, and then it will be heaven and prob worth upgrading too, even if it's only an incremental power change.

15. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well my 360 continues to crash all the time. i think they need to work on that first. it this next thing doesn't crash all the time, and is not as loud, i might just get it

16. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

There are rumors that Microsoft will release a newly-designed Xbox 360 around the same time Natal launches. So if Microsoft is planning for the Xbox 360 to have a ten-year lifespan (which is flipping the bird to Sony, by the way ;)) then redesigning the console to get rid of these crashes, defects, etc. seems logical.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well yes, that's what this thread is about.

18. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm hoping they take their time with this Natal...they haven't sorted out the RROD/E74 issue for the 360 for christ sakes.

Please MS for the love of everything holy do some quality QA....PLEASE.

Bless

19. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I thought the XBOX 720 was going to be called XBOX Phoenix :confused:

I also thought natal was going to be available for the 360 :confused::confused:

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

All those could still hold true. No one knows. The new machine is not a next-next-gen machine, but could merely be a stop-gap before phoenix or whatever.

Natal will just come as standard with the new machine.

Natal will more than likely be released for all existing 360 users anyway, M$ are too $$ savvy to miss an opportunity of selling a $200 peripheral to some 30 million xbox 360 users.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Eurogamer = Microsoft Respond to 1up article...

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Of course it will be compatible with the Xbox 360, like MRU said there are millions of 360's out there. Why try and get people to buy a whole console (in the current climate too) when they could likely make a fortune by trying to get as many current 360 owners buying the camera accessory?

If I was a betting man though I'd imagine the next Xbox will come with Natal as standard, along with a controller.

23. Tsubame macrumors newbie

I don't know about other folks, but to me Motion Capture is NOT the future of gaming, and I don't want it. If it ever reaches the point that it is becoming a standard method of input, I don't want it, and I'll be having to find a new hobby.

You know what is immersive for me with a game? Strong story, tight gameplay, interesting mechanics.

You know what pulls me right out of that immersion? Waving my hands around like a ninny.

I haven't turned my Wii on since Mario Galaxy (a game that used the motion control barely at all) for that very reason.

Of the motion tech demoed, Sony's is perhaps the more relevant for gaming, but I still don't want to see it as a standard for games on the platform. If Natal becomes the platform for the future XBox systems, I think they will really be shooting themselves in the foot (the bottom of which they can't see). It could be useful for educational software, language tools (if it works even half as well as advertised, which I'm still skeptical about). But not for games.

24. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

What I want to know is, is there an accessory that does this Natal crap over wireless to my Xbox 360/Will there be one?

My 360 is in a hidden room nowhere near my screen. I have wires hidden behind walls to my projector, and then the projector displays the screen ~20 feet away.

I won't get Natal if they don't make a RF/Bluetooth camera/motion sensor.

25. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Sure, it will just be a $99.99 add-on like the WiFi adaptor :p