Natal will set you back $149

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by macfan881, May 26, 2010.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

2. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Eh, rumors and speculation. Just wait a few weeks, they'll release the details soon enough.

3. pooryou macrumors 65816

Natal is going to suck hard IMO (I love the Xbox 360 though).

4. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Natal will cost me $0, because that thing is never getting anywhere near my entertainment center. Same goes for the new HD Wii add on.... oh, I mean PlayStation Move. Waggle has no place in my gaming, at all.

5. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

My sentiments exactly.

Btw, great song in your sig!!

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

149 dollar? a hard sell

which means it will be 149 in europe and thus impossible to sell

why microsoft doesn't wait and make natal standard on their next console is beyond me... nobody will be making games for an additional hardware add on except some 3-5 odd first party titles... jsut look at the wiimotion+ add on...

the only genre where it really took off are music games

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's not for me! I don't play my Xbox much anyways, and the only reason why I put up with motion games is because it's the only way to play Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Metroid and the like. I don't think theres a single Microsoft IP that I'd like to use motion controllers with.

8. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

That is an interesting point. The analogy to the music games may be important.

If you think about it, for every music peripheral, there are only like 2 or 3 games you can play with them. But they are really popular, and can only be played with said peripherals, so it actually works for them.

BUT, will MS be able to come up with a "killer app" (I hate that term) like that for Natal? A game that everyone wants, and can only be played with Natal? 'Cause that's what they will need. Nobody's gonna spend that kind of money just to drive with an imaginary steering wheel in their hands, or hand Milo a sheet of paper. :rolleyes:

9. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

MS better have some AMAZING crap for me to play if they think I will shell out $150 (so... ~169.99$ cdn when it's all said and done).

Here's to hoping motion control and 3D die a horrible, horrible death.

10. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I just don't see Natal taking off.

1.) Hard-core gamers won't use it. Even if they somehow force it into Fable III, Halo Reach, and some new Rare game... which I fully expect them to do at E3.

2.) The people that Microsoft is really targeting with Natal have already paid $200-$250 for a Wii. And let's be honest, those people probably stopped playing Wii Sports years ago and their Wii is probably unplugged and in a box somewhere. Are they really going to pay $300 for something else? It will be interesting to see what Microsoft puts as their "Wii Sports" to try and sell the thing, but I don't think anything will really do the trick.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You can be honest all you want, Wii games regularly sit ontop of the charts so people are still buying games for it.

Natal is going to need bundling with every Xbox from its release, a price drop or an absolute killer title. I'd imagine it will certainly be a part of the next Xbox.

12. DocNYz macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

Apparently I'm the only one excited about this, but that aside, I'm sure they'll bundle it hardcore if they actually want to sell it, as they have been with a lot of games - I've been waiting to upgrade to an Elite anyway so I might as well just hold out for a Natal bundle for some more HDD space, extra controllers, etc.

To be quite honest I'm most excited about just using it for netflix to flick between titles and voice control so I don't have to scroll through several hundred films I've put on, and video chatting with friends. I would however be more excited if XBOX was going to do a 3D update as PS3 has announced for in game 3D.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

unless all games incorporate these features, it seems pointless to me and is a novelty

14. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

And what's the tie ratio for hardware/software for Wii? Two or three games?

They may be selling a lot of games, but there are also a lot of Wiis out there that were bought only for Wii Sports and maybe another game and then have gotten no more use.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Some quick tallying up has the Wii with an attach ratio of 4.2, Xbox at 4.3, PS3 at 3.6. That's not a bad attach ratio ;). Though it wouldn't be Macrumors without a bit of FUD.

I'm just under the 360 attach ratio at 2 games (MW2 and Rock Band 2).

I think it could be something really excellent, because the tech is. It's just down to how well it gets implemented.

16. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Be all that as it may, I think he does have a point that most people interested in waggle gaming already own a Wii. This may be the biggest obstacle for both Natal and Move to overcome.

Like I said, they need a really good "killer app", otherwise it will be borderline hopeless....not that I would mind them failing. You would not see me shed a single tear if waggle gaming went away. ;)

17. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

Has MS even confirmed any games that this will work for off the bat? if not I'm worried cause i haven't heard any dev's besides EA say they will support Natal, Move on the other hand seems to have the upper hand on 3rd party support especially with games that are currently out now

18. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I'm thinking that after E3 we will have a much clearer picture of how it will all turn out.

Both MS and Sony have their work cut out for them, that's for sure!

19. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Natal is doomed to failure. Peripherals, no matter how good they are, don't have a great track record for success. The reason the Wii remote was so successful is because it came with the system. If people had to buy it, few would have...at least following historic trends.

The same goes for the Playstation Move.

Fewer people owning it means fewer developers willing to make games for it. Fewer games available mean less of an incentive to purchase Natal/Move. That is the cycle that will ultimately lead to their failure. They should have just waited until the next gen Xbox and Playsation.

20. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

As of now Sony has quite a few games that will work alot of older games will get suport

Right now I belive Sony has 25 Confirmed games and I'm sure more will come out at E3
    and natal looks to have 6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Natal#Software

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

^ That's what has quite impressed me about Sony in recent years. That they retroactively fit their old games with new tech, like trophies and soon Arc (is it still called that?).

22. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I wouldn’t give Sony too much credit. If the PS3’s software was more feature complete when it shipped, trophy support would have never been a problem. Instead we got years of Sony execs claiming achievements were not necessary and putting blame on developers for not creating their own awards system within their games.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154563

23. Selenica macrumors newbie

What kind of name for a product is Natal? What exactly is it giving birth to? :rolleyes: I'm slightly more interested in Sony's wand thing. It just seems better to hold an actual object.. rather than wave your arms around in the air like with Natal.

24. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

As of right now, the name "Natal" is just the development codename for it. We will probably find out officially at E3 this year what the final name is, if it changes. But, here is the quote from the Corporate VP for Strategy and Biz Dev for Microsoft's game division as to the codename...
    http://games.venturebeat.com/2009/0...ribes-origins-of-project-natal-game-controls/
    In my opinion, waving your arms, with or without a controller in your hand, doesn't sound like much fun.

[​IMG]