Natalie Cole dies at 65

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bradl, Jan 1, 2016.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

http://www.sacbee.com/entertainment/celebrities/article52629380.html

Like her father, Unforgettable.

BL.

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

3. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I remember when she did the "duet" I always thought that was the coolest use of technology.

5. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

6. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Exactly! "Unforgettable" was artistically & masterfully done with pure jazz like taste without leaving out the soul! Beautiful woman and it's VERY sad to see this family robbed of continuance! Truely blessed and taken far too early, I guess God needed real voices for his choir of angels!

PS: Many don't know this but Charlie Chaplin wrote and composed a song for Nat King Cole which took Nat 4 yrs to record after being presented (since he was already recording an album at the time). The song "Smile"

http://www.metrolyrics.com/smile-lyrics-nat-king-cole.html
    SONGWRITERS
    CHARLES CHAPLIN

For you Natalie ...

7. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

That is a nugget I definitely did not know..

Especially as it was this song that Jermaine Jackson sang at Michael's funeral, as it was Michael's favourite..

BL.

8. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Ah yes, a singer from back in the day when singers were popular due to their voice instead of how great their photoshopped belly button looks on the cover of a magazine.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

10. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

I always believed Billy Joel, when he, in not so many words, blasted the Christina Aguilaras in the world by saying that throat heroics (make up your own joke here) and trying to cram a couple hundred million notes into a 4/4 beat gets in the way of a pure singing voice. I mean, there's a time and place for it, and overdoing it kills it, making a listener long for something simpler.

Case in point: Aguilara sounding like R'n'B yodeling, over something smooth and pure, like Cole (Nat and Natalie), Jeffrey Osbourne, or Diana Krahl. Classy would be sometimes preferred over overuse of the throat.

BL.