National Geographic Asia Photo Contest

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jianadmu, Nov 1, 2010.

1. jianadmu macrumors newbie

Hi people,

I'm new to macrumors and I think this is the right place to post this.

First of all, I need your support for this contest (for all Facebook users)

Step 1: like the National Geographic Asia page http://www.facebook.com/pages/National-Geographic-Channel-Asia/129231660431299

Step 2: like my photos
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5504914&o=all&op=1&view=all&subj=129231660431299&id=760494334

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=450290439334&set=o.129231660431299

That's it. Now, I'm not a professional photographer, so for those experts seeing my photos...if you have any opinions about my photos, constructive criticism is welcome :D

Thanks

2. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

The comments are pretty funny - "Whoa, I like it!...... now like me back please"

3. bubulindo macrumors member

bubulindo

At least you're honest...

The pictures are not all that great. Sorry to disappoint you.

On one of them, the exposure is completely off, the night picture is ok, but not something National Geographic would want I guess... :S

Keep trying! ;)

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Trolling a tech forum for online votes is so tacky. And those photos are in no way National Geographic material.

5. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Sorry to tell you but I wouldn't want to see those pictures in a national geographic.

Picture 1 is not well exposed as mentioned before and is not necessarily an "exciting" scene which is what makes this kind of picture work well

Picture 2 is nice in theory but poorly executed because the back highlights are so blown out. It might have worked as an HDR photo but you will have a hard time trying to redo it if you didn't take multiple exposures at the time.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

6. jianadmu thread starter macrumors newbie

You're not bursting my bubble guys. Truth is.. I know I need a lot more practice. I'm just entering these contests to test my luck and see how people find my photos. Heck, I used a 550D to take these shots. (I was hoping that if I did win, by some stroke of luck, I'd sell the prize and go buy an Ipad) :D

7. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

A 550D is a very capable camera. You probably just need more practice. An old adage is that it takes 10,000 photos before you can start taking photos.

8. bubulindo macrumors member

bubulindo

Here's some advice for you:

Luck has very little to do with it. It as some, true... but not that much.

if I'd won the NG contest and whatever it was (camera? lens?) I wouldn't sell it to buy an iPad... I'd most likely sell it to buy something for my camera so I could get a better shot in repeating the win next year and getting somewhere as a photographer. I believe you're not really interested in being a photographer, are you?

9. jianadmu thread starter macrumors newbie

Truth be told, I'm actually spoiled when it comes to camera equipment. I have an almost complete set of camera lenses, filters and flash/es. I'm just not that good at taking photos yet. I just started about a year ago. About the being a photographer part...it's a hobby as I still have my studies to concentrate on. :D

10. Shaneuk macrumors regular

Shaneuk

I'm not trying to be a dick, but these photos aren't anything special, the first one has no focal point and is lacking a strong composition. The second one again has no focal point and the subject is under-exposed.

Also you can't have a complete set of lenses, unless you have all the lenses from one series which I doubt.

I recommend learning to use your camera better, like always shooting manual, this way you will have full control over you images. I also recommend that you read up on composition.

Thirdly your camera doesn't make you a good photographer, take Terry Richardson for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8i3VETLflk

11. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

When he said complete set of lenses, most of us would assume he meant covering all the bases - fixed prime, telephoto, etc.

12. jianadmu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the constructive criticism. But, learning to use my camera better is something I've really been doing. Yes, I am shooting in manual. I'm just giving more effort in my studies so I don't have that much time to devote to my camera.