Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
But is smoking or eating not dangerous?

not as dangerous as you arent nearly as distracted smoking as your are when talking. your mind gets off focus of driving when you talk as you focus on what you are saying

but thats besides the point. why are you against banning an activity that is known to be very dangerous while driving (more so or equal than drinking). because its not also banning every other distraction? thats horrible logic

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I would say reaching for the burger or soda or changing the radio is more distracting.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Both of which take a few seconds max. Conversations dont usually end that abruptly.
But your eyes are on the road when you are talking, it only takes a second to reach down and hit something.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
I would say reaching for the burger or soda or changing the radio is more distracting.

ooook not saying those activities are safe but let me repeat my post

but thats besides the point. why are you against banning an activity that is known to be very dangerous while driving (more so or equal than drinking). because its not also banning every other distraction? thats horrible logic

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Instead of arguing over this why don't you guys try and back your points up with some data from studies?

edit: in the context of the relative dangers of smoking/drinking/phone use in causing accidents.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
umm what? how does that even relate to this thread about banning cell phones?

why dont we argue about speeding as in some other countries there are no speed limits...yea not relevant at all to topic at hand:rolleyes:

It relates because you're pissing and moaning about bad drivers when motorcycle drivers are also a huge problem with their antics. So you're not talking on a phone but you're doing something just as bad. It relates, but not in your favor ... clearly.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I'd say watching a movie on the hacked DVD player in the dash is the most distracting. ;)

No sh*t. Why do people do that? I've seen people driving to work in the morning with a movie playing on all 5 screens that I can see, and they're the only one in the car.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
It relates because you're pissing and moaning about bad drivers when motorcycle drivers are also a huge problem with their antics. So you're not talking on a phone but you're doing something just as bad. It relates, but not in your favor ... clearly.

please, there are many more safe riders than those that arent

there are also magnitudes more drivers who talk on cell phones than those who split lanes

why are you eveb trying to talk about motorcycle riders as dangerous?. you dont get the point do you? i could say even as a car driver its dangerous to get hit by an idiot whos talking on the phone

i said motorcycle as there is alot more potential to get injured due to a simple fender bender than if i were in a car. i said as a motorcycle rider as i now have a greater appreciateion for road safety than i did when i just drove a car

why dont we argue about speeders, those who run red lights as well. i mean those activites are dangerous. who woulda thunk

you post is not relevant at all.

pissing and moaning? how about more like wanting laws that enact greater road safety:rolleyes:

sorry if i value my life over another persons phone call. some people...

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
It's funny how things are different from country to country. I never thought of eating in the car as dangerous because people here usually don't do it, plain and simple.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
But your eyes are on the road when you are talking, it only takes a second to reach down and hit something.

Eyes yes, but your brain, according to dukes article, is paying 37% less attention.

Sure u can see something, but if u dont process it quick enough whats the point.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Eyes yes, but your brain, according to dukes article, is paying 37% less attention.

Sure u can see something, but if u dont process it quick enough whats the point.
So how is that different from talking to a passenger.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
MacNut

care to respond to my post? here it is once again

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I don't think you can just single out cell phones, if any distraction makes a driver less aware what is the problem with banning everything. I think the worst part about talking on a phone is the initial call. I never drive with 2 hands, I could be staring straight ahead not on the phone and only use one hand. So I don't buy the 2 hand argument.

I got into an accident because I was looking at the radio, it had nothing to do with a phone.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
I don't think you can just single out cell phones, if any distraction makes a driver less aware what is the problem with banning everything. I think the worst part about talking on a phone is the initial call. I never drive with 2 hands, I could be staring straight ahead not on the phone and only use one hand. So I don't buy the 2 hand argument.

I got into an accident because I was looking at the radio, it had nothing to do with a phone.

but if its known that driving while talking on a phone is very dangerous, then how can anyone be against banning it? even if the ban doesnt include every other distraction.

or by your logic, should we un-ban drinking and driving since smoking and driving isnt banned as well?

the studies ive linked to prove that talking on the phone while driving is just as dangerous as driving drunk

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
but if its known that driving while talking on a phone is very dangerous, then how can anyone be against banning it? even if the ban doesnt include every other distraction.

or by your logic, should we un-ban drinking and driving since smoking and driving isnt banned as well?

the studies ive linked to prove that talking on the phone while driving is just as dangerous as driving drunk
But have you found studies about eating? Because there are no studies it is fine?

I not saying cell phones are the best thing while driving, but don't just single them out.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
But have you found studies about eating? Because there are no studies it is fine?

I not saying cell phones are the best thing while driving, but don't just single them out.

Fine we ban everything, are you happy with that?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I think you're simply looking for a fight. I am all about safety, despite your random and completely wrong assumptions ... some people ... but you're deciding that what I say is irrelevant because it doesn't favor your initial theory. This discussion stopped being just about cell phones somewhere around post 5. I know it and you know it. :rolleyes:

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA

So driving drunk should be ok as long as you keep your eyes on the road?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
My argument is why are we just focusing on cell phones, lets broaden it out. Cell phones are an easy target.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.