Native 2880x1800 perfectly readable for me on X @ 75 DPI

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by houkouonchi, Jul 7, 2012.

1. houkouonchi macrumors regular

I can't believe some people think the display is unreadable at some of the larger DPI font settings that other OS's run. I can read it fine on linux/x-windows at 75 DPI. Honestly the screen seems a lot more worthwhile and you get a lot more advantage out of it by not bumping up everything in size to make it sharper as even on mac OS pretty much all apps work at the native 2880x1800 and most scale (and properly) which otherwise would look worse in HiDPI mode (like on google earth, microsoft office, adobe acrobat, firefox, etc...).

Here are some pics of my macbook booting into Linux/X set at 75 DPI:

Code:
    root@macbook: 02:37 AM :~# xdpyinfo  | grep -i -e dimension -e resolution
      dimensions:    2880x1800 pixels (975x610 millimeters)
      resolution:    75x75 dots per inch
    root@macbook: 02:37 AM :~#

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tillsbury macrumors 65816

I agree. I've been running various resolutions but have just always ended up on 2880x1400, which is great under OSX. You can bump up the text sizes in most programs (and any programs you want to use regularly you know where the menus are so it's not a problem that they're small). The larger fonts (e.g. I use 14 point for editing) are nicely rendered. If you're using a mouse there's no problem hitting small icons. And the amount of stuff you can get on the screen is just fabulous. And, of course, I don't care whether applications are retina-enabled or not.

3. macNewbie02 macrumors regular

Where did you buy your rMBP from? It looks like the Japanese keyboard with the huge Enter on it :)

4. houkouonchi thread starter macrumors regular

That is because it is. It was BTO. I am regretting it though. I thought it would be nice to have keys to switch between roomaji and katakana as I do use japanese input quite a bit but I didn't realize a few of the cuvets (caps/control being swapped) shift 7 for ' and some awkward placement of other stuff to. Like needing to use the function key for characters like * and +.

5. houkouonchi thread starter macrumors regular

I assume you meant 2880x1800 but yes that *by far* gives the best experience IMHO and this resolution makes the laptop worth every penny.