Native Android on iPod Touch 1G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ssdeg7, Jan 18, 2011.

1. ssdeg7, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I want to run Android on an iPod Touch 1G but I want it to be as native as it can be. This means that I don't want it to be like using OpeniBoot that when you turn it on it lets you choose iOS or Android. I basically don't want it to be dual-boot.

Can this be done? Isn't there a way to just trick Android into thinking that your iPod is an HTC phone and let you install it?

2. TOMIMOT macrumors 6502

TOMIMOT

i have yet to hear of something like that, I've seen mods for the HTC to look like an iOS device but not the other way around, you could try jail breaking it and looking for a theme but I'm not familiar with jail breaking because I like my devices el natural lol BTW why do u want to run android on your iPod touch? you bought or got an iPod to make it look like a droid? why didn't you just get an android in the first place?

3. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

FYI: The OP's goal here isn't to skin iOS to make it into something that *looks* like Android. Their goal is to totally remove iOS from the iPod, and replace it with *real* Android software. All the most popular tools allow Android and iOS to co-exist in a dual-boot arrangement, rather than the OP's stated goal of outright replacement.

Why would the OP want to do it? Well this is a 1st generation iPod touch, which means it is totally unsupported now by Apple. At the moment, it is possible to run Android 2.3.3 on a 1st genration iPod touch, which is somewhat newer than the last version of iOS to run on that hardware.

Or perhaps it's just an experiment -- something to do as an intellectual exercise, just to see if it can be done. Similar to the reasoning some people use when they decide they want to try climbing a mountain.

4. TOMIMOT macrumors 6502

TOMIMOT

fair enough, i just havnt heard of totally wiping iOS from an iPod touch (if even possible) probably lack of knowledge in that area thats why i said he could try a theme by jail breaking it. So can it be done? Probably can but i have never seen it

5. finkmacunix macrumors regular

That is a really bad idea... Why?

iDroid doesn't have a GPU driver.

And a VERY basic Power Driver

Ergo, Android runs like crap.

6. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Would be technically interessting to put an alternative OS on it; maybe ARM-Ubuntu would be more open ...