Native apps vs Non native apps, I'm not really seeing much of a difference?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Sir Ruben, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Native apps was a big thing before it launched and lots of people were looking forward to them. However, so far, I can't really say I see much of a difference speed wise, or in any other way.

Now, what I will say is that I haven't used the apps frequently so maybe I'm missing something. With that in mind can anyone list the benefits? And far as I was aware speed was a big one, but like I said, Im not really seeing much of a difference.

2. friedmud macrumors 65816

It's definitely app dependent. But... overall I can say that native apps do load faster to me and are more reliable (no infinite spin of death).

Also: Native Apps work without a phone around... and without a phone they can even contact the internet over Wifi directly so they are more versatile.

Things will continue to improve as developers figure out what to do with the Watch...

3. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Speed is one of the benefits but it will not mean way faster speed. The difference is that the app is not fully dependent on the phone to function. Some things yes (like GPS) will still need the phone because its not part of the hardware but alone native apps can use the built in sensors and hardware then later sync with the phone. Prior, the app on the watch could do noting but display info from the phone.

Analogy: TV vs Smart TV. Both have a similar feel when looking at them and using their interface but the Smart TV is "faster" because it has built in (nativity) the ability to use a service that prior required an external device. Still dependent on a data connection and network feed but in some ways better because the functions are integrated.

You will not truly see a jump in speed until the hardware is made faster. Efficiency in the application coding will help and not having to have you phone for everything is a benefit but we have to keep in mind we're still in the early stages. One day the watch will be independent of other hardware and sync via cloud the way the phone and iPad do now but its going to be a while.

4. redman042 macrumors 68020

I had the same reaction when Watch OS 2.0 came out. Apps were also quite buggy. But 2.0.1 really helped both speed and reliability. That said, Apple needs to do more optimizing. The whole premise of a watch is that you can quickly do small things. Third party apps still need to load faster. I think they will get there with 2.1.