Native Games

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by warth0g, Aug 15, 2012.

1. warth0g macrumors newbie

Hi

I bought my first ever Mac a couple of weeks ago, a new MBA 13", 8GB with a 128GB SSD. It's completely lovely and I'm slightly bemused as to why I stuck with windows for so long.

I didn't buy the Air for gaming but I would like to use it for the occasional game if I can. I really don't want to mess around with Bootcamp or Parallels, so I was wondering what games can be run natively at at least medium settings at a decent framerate on the 2012 Air? And is Steam the best place to get them (or the App store I guess)

I find it slightly difficult to judge by looking on the appstore at the likes of Borderlands whether or not the game will actually run.

Any suggestions for native MacOS games please?

2. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Diablo III, Torchlight, BattleNations, the list is endless. Download and install Steam and browse their Mac category. You can also shop for Mac games on Amazon, GameStop as well as the App Store of course. :)

3. warth0g thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks! I didn't realise that there was a Mac version of Diablo III or that it's playable on an Air, so great news! Is it available from Steam / App Store or only from Blizzard?

I've already played Torchlight on the PC, great game. Don't know BattleNations though, so will check it out..

4. Masterfox72 macrumors member

Starcraft II
    World of Warcraft
    Diablo 3
    Team Fortress 2
    The Walking Dead
    Batman Arkham Asylum

5. Sid-R macrumors member

Sid-R

6. yensteel macrumors regular

Borderlands for Mac runs pretty well on 2012 Macbook Airs. You need to disable dynamic shadows and use medium graphics setting, it helps performance a lot and the eye candy isn't impacted much.

7. jeremyx macrumors member

8. Panini macrumors regular

A lot of the Valve-made games (source engine) run really well.

Some games are...

Portal 1 & 2
    Team Fortress 2
    Counter Strike Source
    Half-Life 2
    Garry's Mod

Civ 5 is also pretty good but it's pretty slow and requires a lot of dedication (games last a long time and it isn't that fun in the beginning). Definitely not the quick-fix game you're looking for.

I would personally recommend Team Fortress 2. I like being Spy and going on the occasional espionnage every once in a while :)