Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tido2012

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

gorskiegangsta said:
Gmail is great 'n all but how much longer will I have to keep pulling my hair out, waiting for a native Google Docs iOS app?

I agree, while its not the best the use. I'm currently on an airplane and using google docs on the iPad. I believe there's a lot of room for improvement. I tend to use excel quite a bit but Im sure others would appreciate all the other programs with google docs. I have quick office pro HD app on it but I don't like how you have to click the box to see the entire contents of each box. Anyways, this is definitely a good start.

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
1. Gmail, by design, prefers archiving over deleting a message

I'm the user. I don't really care what Gmail prefers by design :) When I delete a message, I want it deleted. Not archived.

See above. It's a poor design for me. The hack part I meant was the "move a message into the deleted folder to delete". That's a hack when I have a trash can icon right on the message.

Pleasantly surprised by that one, and I was definitely wrong on it.

In your inbox, click edit, mark the multiple messages you want to move, tap move > then spam. You just marked multiple messages as SPAM :D

Yup, that's what I do now -- but it's not the one-click ability you have on gmail.com, in Sparrow, or on Android. I imagine the native app will give that function.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
My university uses Gmail and I have a ton of labels and stars that I really miss seeing when checking my email in the native mail app.

I can't wait to try this app.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
My university uses Gmail and I have a ton of labels and stars that I really miss seeing when checking my email in the native mail app.

I can't wait to try this app.

Labels and stars work as you'd expect (at least in the Android Gmail app) - but if you use "Labs" features like Super Stars, those do not get implemented in the mobile app.

That said, the mobile app is great.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Configure exchange for Google, and only sync cal and contacts for push sync, but leave mail set off.

Then create a regular gmail account, for the email portion. Yea don't get email push, but would have server side searching...

This now works when set up as push Gmail (through Exchange) on iOS 5. It used to not work before.

Thanks guys, I'll give this a try!

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I've been using and loving Gmail since the day of 7 invitations per user. But what you've said is not true. Gmail does have a line of ads (no picture) above the inbox.

They even include some SPAM recipes there, in the Spam section, for fun. ;)

Back to the topic, I'd LOVE a Gmail app on my iPhone 4S (will buy it soon)!

You are confusing web interface with the client side interface.

I believe even yahoo runs ads like that about its free inboxes web side. It has been away since I logged into my free yahoo account.

You don’t understand how Gmail works? Google reads your email, just like it tracks your web usage to better tailor your ad experience. You don’t see ads in native Gmail clients, but that’s not where they make their money. Google sells the content of your email to advertisers. You didn’t think it was coincidence when you sent an email to your friend about the new Xbox game then the next time you surfed the web you saw an ad for said game did you?

Now I’m not saying ad tailoring is a bad thing, to the contrary if I’m going to see an ad I’d like it to be about something I am interested in, but it’s important to understand that Google and “free” isn’t some magnanimous gesture and there isn’t a cost involved.

Yes I understand how Gmail works. You also know as much as I do that all the free email systems out there do that and I am willing to bet your ISP providing email system does the same thing for the a way to pay for the service but this has nothing to do with client side apps.

By ANY other device do you mean android devices where Google already makes money off licensing the OS? Remember they dont make any money in iOS, and the app will be free so they could very well make that version ad-supported

The moral of the story is dont make assumptions and dont call someone else an ass for making one while slipping in an assumption of your own.

By other devices that I used that used the official GMail client.
Some LG dumb phone.
Blackberry
Windows Mobile 6.5
and yes Android.

All of these I used the gmail client provided by Google and none of them had any ad displayed in the client so yes I will call the guy I originally quoted an ass for making an assumption like he did because history proves other wise.
4 complete different OS and in none of them had an ad in them.

Also what I just posted proves you made a bad assumption about me thinking I have never used the client on different phones or OS which I have 4 complete different ones with first hand experiences.

Snypod

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2010
I really hope this is true, cause I'm tired of Mail's crippled threaded view which doesn't include sent messages. Also, this would mean the Sparrow mail app (which is in development) has a better chance of being approved.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
A GMail App?

totaly stupid idea. Mail.app doesn't already support gmail or anything :rollseyes: where is a Docs app?

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have my gmail set up with imap on my phone and I can search via server right now on the apple app

I have lots of trouble searching for emails on my iphone. Not sure what the deal is. Sometimes I can search and it pulls up nothing, even though I can scroll down to the date and see the email I was searching for.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
two nice possibilities

At fist I was all like, "this is stupid, I am not checking my email with 2 different apps." Then it hit me. Maybe I can assign a different sound to the gmail notification, meaning I will know if something is personal or work, without having to pick up the phone to look at it. Second, no more work signature on personal emails sent from my iphone!!!!!!!!!!!

reltm

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011
1) Set it up with ActiveSync
2) MOVE the message to the trash, do not use the trash icon as it will archive the message.

Actually this depends on which folder you are in. If you have Mail.app set up with ActiveSync to get push notifications, you cannot delete a message from the inbox by any means that I'm aware of.

If you move the message from "Inbox" to "Trash" while viewing it in the inbox, it actually gets labeled "All Mail" and you can still find your message in the "All Mail" folder in Mail.app. If you move the message from "All Mail" to "Trash", *then* the message actually will get deleted. But this is cumbersome because most people like to view their messages from their inbox, but you can only delete messages if you are viewing them from the "All Mail" folder in Mail.app.

Another thing I miss about the native Gmail app from Android is the ability to send messages from a different email address. I.e. In the Android version, if you have your account set up to send and receive accounts other than your primary @gmail account, you can simply select which other account you want to send from (e.g. a different @gmail account, or perhaps a .com or .edu account). You can't do this in Mail.app without actually adding the other account as an entirely separate account. But then you end up with multiple notifications and the difficulty of managing multiple email inboxes.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how a native Gmail app works in iOS. Bring it! :)

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
I can't really see this offering a whole lot of benefits over the built-in client... I use it with my gmail account, and can't see someone needing something much more powerful while on the go.

MacBoy88

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Illinois

reltm said:
MacBoy88 said:
1) Set it up with ActiveSync
2) MOVE the message to the trash, do not use the trash icon as it will archive the message.

Actually this depends on which folder you are in. If you have Mail.app set up with ActiveSync to get push notifications, you cannot delete a message from the inbox by any means that I'm aware of.

If you move the message from "Inbox" to "Trash" while viewing it in the inbox, it actually gets labeled "All Mail" and you can still find your message in the "All Mail" folder in Mail.app. If you move the message from "All Mail" to "Trash", *then* the message actually will get deleted. But this is cumbersome because most people like to view their messages from their inbox, but you can only delete messages if you are viewing them from the "All Mail" folder in Mail.app.

Another thing I miss about the native Gmail app from Android is the ability to send messages from a different email address. I.e. In the Android version, if you have your account set up to send and receive accounts other than your primary @gmail account, you can simply select which other account you want to send from (e.g. a different @gmail account, or perhaps a .com or .edu account). You can't do this in Mail.app without actually adding the other account as an entirely separate account. But then you end up with multiple notifications and the difficulty of managing multiple email inboxes.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how a native Gmail app works in iOS. Bring it! :)

As I said, if you MOVE (NOT trash) your message from the inbox, to the trash folder, it will delete. Yes I'm using Google Sync.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC

The following works in other contexts (not sure about activesync):

In gmail settings (web access)
1) In POP/IMAP settings
When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:

Archive the message (default)
--> Move the message to the Trash
Immediately delete the message forever

Choose the middle one.

2) In Labels
choose: "all mail" - hide and uncheck "show in IMAP"

What this will do is when you move a message out of your inbox by deleting it won't go to All Mail because it's no longer a visible IMAP folder and will instead end up in the trash.

iJimboG3

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011

Would Be Nice If They Included GCal some how since we can't get ICal and GCal to play nice with iCloud.

W2u7Yw4HaD

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Go into mail.app and set it up so that:
1 - you receive push notifications
2 - when you delete a message, it's really deleted
3 - you can assign multiple labels to a message
4 - you can mark something as spam

You can't do 3 or 4 at all, and you can't do 1 and 2 together.

That's why this is needed (for some people)

Your right, but not about 1 and 2. You should setup gmail as an exchange account and not via the gmail settings:

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740

reltm

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011
As I said, if you MOVE (NOT trash) your message from the inbox, to the trash folder, it will delete. Yes I'm using Google Sync.

I meant the same as you -- move the msg into the Mail.app "Trash" folder from the inbox. I didn't mean to imply using the trash button. After your message I checked again and still couldn't delete a message using Exchange ActiveSync setup (i.e. not the Gmail IMAP configuration) from the inbox; only from the All Mail folder. Good for you if this works. I just can't seem to replicate it.

The following works in other contexts (not sure about activesync):

In gmail settings (web access)
1) In POP/IMAP settings
When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:

Archive the message (default)
--> Move the message to the Trash
Immediately delete the message forever

Choose the middle one.

2) In Labels
choose: "all mail" - hide and uncheck "show in IMAP"

What this will do is when you move a message out of your inbox by deleting it won't go to All Mail because it's no longer a visible IMAP folder and will instead end up in the trash.

this is a great tip; I didn't know about these IMAP options. Thanks! I changed the settings but it didn't seem to affect the EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) setup, however. Guess I'll be waiting for the new Gmail app after all! :)

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet

Please include google talk (chat) feature in this native mail app!! All the third-party chat apps really suck.

that would seem to be the only benefit i see. apple's own app works fine for me and i'd guess 95% of users. i'd only download and use for gchat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.