Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
This is not my point.... I personally just get a little irritated with people who do nothing but complain. Online, people are super quick to complain and whine about free stuff not being the way that they want. I would understand if you had to shell out cash for this app, sure, complain, yell, scream about it.... but no one here has had to pay a penny to download/use this app and just because the initial release has a giant bug that will obviously get fixed right away, people start bashing.

Just me venting I guess

Does anyone else see the irony here?

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
Why do people want this? I can do the exact same thing with Gmail's exchange setup.

Perhaps it is for those challenged users who can't/won't attempt the few simple steps involved in setting this up. I certainly know a few people like that. As in everybody I know except myself.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I think the app has been pulled from the store. It started installing, and then I got the message about it no longer being available.

GiantSteve

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Why are all the people who "don't give a rip" about this app the ones sending so many comments? You don't like it or need it, move on..... but being a heavy gmail (google apps/domain) user I am very happy to see this app.... I have never really liked using the default mail app for gmail mostly because I heavily rely on Labels/Stars/Filters etc. which the default app doesn't handle all that well (I know it WORKS but it is different).

First submission OBVIOUSLY has a bug in it preventing notifications from working, but seriously people, calm down.... I'm sure it will be updated promptly to fix the error... then you can all continue bi+ching about everything else wrong with the app.

Despite the bugs (and lack of QC) in this application, it gives me all the Gmail functionality I need without using the web version. Once this is cleaned up (very disappointing that they would not release it right the first time) it will be very useful to me and many other heavy Gmail users.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
hmmm. I just downloaded it. From my iphone, it was on the third page of apps that appeared after typing 'gmail'.

One reason I thought I might use it is the ability to categorize and star email (as well as archive), and, while it can do that, I much prefer the screen size formating that Apple's native app institutes. This version performs like the web version, ie, open an email and have to constantly scroll left to right to read it. Apple's mail app sizes appropriately and you can zoom if necessary.

Will delete (more than likely) as I don't currently see the benefit

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
So how do you guys feel about this app basically being a wrapper for their web application? I've always felt that iOS apps shouldn't mimic something I can get from the web.

shuckit

macrumors member
May 28, 2009
I applaud google for its latest attempt to improve the iOS experience. They are subliminally saying switch to android...

curtisinoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
How is this any better or different than the default Mail app? I don't know why this app would be necessary or why people are excited about it. Can someone tell me the benefits of this over the Mail app? Thanks.

:confused:

^^ I agree ^^

As long as you set up your gmail account via Exchange on iPhone, I don't see the need for this app . .

eNcrypTioN

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hope this is fixed quickly. I need this app ASAP!

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
They've updated their announcement.

Update: 11/2/11: Earlier today we launched a new Gmail app for iOS. Unfortunately, it contained a bug which broke notifications and caused users to see an error message when first opening the app. We’ve removed the app while we correct the problem, and we’re working to bring you a new version soon. Everyone who’s already installed the app can continue to use it.​

budafied

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2008
Not in the least. Gmail on android is nothing like this.

+1

Why did someone downvote this? The statement is 100% true. Gmail on Android is perfect. I was really hoping Google would just copy the exact Gmail design from Android and put it on this app. What a shame...

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
phew, so it's not just me!

So, how in the world did THAT kind of error/bug make it through testing and the app store approval process?

Maybe Google packaged the distribution build wrong and Apple let it through so Google looks bad :D

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
In addition to the push not working, and in addition to the fact that there are no multiple user accounts within the app, I would also like to note that the icon is quite ugly, in that shade of dramatic blue. Why wouldn't it be some sort of off-white or a cream color behind the envelope?

Nitpicky, I know, but that was the first thing I noticed. If the app is ugly before I even open it, I wouldn't have much faith in the actual product. In this case, I'd be right.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
lol they cant even get a simple mail app working and expect us to believe they came up with android all by themself? hahaha

Hazel

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
SF Bay Area
In addition to the push not working, and in addition to the fact that there are no multiple user accounts within the app, I would also like to note that the icon is quite ugly, in that shade of dramatic blue. Why wouldn't it be some sort of off-white or a cream color behind the envelope?

Nitpicky, I know, but that was the first thing I noticed. If the app is ugly before I even open it, I wouldn't have much faith in the actual product. In this case, I'd be right.

the actual app icon is a dark charcoal colour behind the envelope.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
This is not my point.... I personally just get a little irritated with people who do nothing but complain. Online, people are super quick to complain and whine about free stuff not being the way that they want. I would understand if you had to shell out cash for this app, sure, complain, yell, scream about it.... but no one here has had to pay a penny to download/use this app and just because the initial release has a giant bug that will obviously get fixed right away, people start bashing.

Just me venting I guess
It's OK for you to complain about other people's opinion posts, for which you paid nothing, but it is not OK for them to complain about an app that, while free, is little more than a wrapper for a web app (except the web app works better)?

Michael

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
I never had any serious problems with the native mail client on Android. Nor have I had any serious problems with the native mail client on iOS. This appears to be a bungled release that has been pulled by Google to be fixed before releasing again. I'm not sure why the whole thread is going wild over a seemingly minor (although certainly unflattering) event and trying to tar and feather the entire Android family of systems based on a single iOS application release. Reminds me a little of the bungled Mobile Me rollout, but since I wasn't interested in the service I simply left the topic alone. Meanwhile, people who apparently have no interest in Android can't seem to stop themselves from making as much guilt-by-association hay as possible out of this.

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
Why do people want this? I can do the exact same thing with Gmail's exchange setup.

you can do that via the mail app too once you set up your google account with it. Honestly I delete and archive each day using the mail app. you just drag it to your All Mail folder or other designated archived folder.

Push mail works just FINE with Gmail. You just have to set it up as an Exchange account, as described on this page:

there is an option to change that in exchange settings. Looks like you won't need the app then.

You can either do push notifications (with Exchange / Active Sync) OR proper "delete" (using native / IMAP Gmail). If you use Exchange, deleted messages actually get archived into "All Mail". Then you need to delete a second time to get rid of the message. Most annoying is that you end up having a bunch of "unread" messages in your All Mail box.

One other HUGE thing you can't do at all in the native Mail.app:
many-to-many labels. currently, the "labels" are treated as folders -- you put a message in one folder. that's not how GMail works. you can have many labels in gmail.

Most people use multiple accounts, though, and managing two separate email apps is just not good enough. (Except for Android users, I guess :p )

I would venture to say that the far majority of people DON'T use multiple accounts. A few of us geeks do, but most people don't.

This could have been a great, useful app - but it looks like Google has pooped the bed on it. Not even counting the release bug -- that will get worked out. That bug notwithstanding, there are huge problems with this app:
- no multiple accounts
- no iOS5 notifications (seriously? how can you mess that up?)

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Actually I think the cause of this error is from the submission process. Still Google's fault, but not really something they can test. A little surprising that Apple would push the app through with the error. Google probably gets to bypass the approval process.

Yes, this Gmail app is a pile of garbage because it's an "error of the submission process" and indeed, it's "a little surprising that Apple would push the app through with the error" even though, as you say, "the error" is nothing the app's developer "can test" themselves, but Apple certainly should have.

/sarcasm

Eric0531

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
Seattle
Push mail works just FINE with Gmail. You just have to set it up as an Exchange account, as described on this page:

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252

Once you do this, not only will you have push notifications for email, but you will also sync your Google contacts and calendars seamlessly. I set up my iPhone like this on day one and haven't touched it since. It works so perfectly that I wonder why Apple's own "Google Account" option when adding a mail account doesn't just do it this way.

And when you are in a message and click on the trash can icon, the mail goes to where? (Hint: it's not the trash). That one single annoyance is enough for me to want a native GMail app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.