Native iDVD file format got me stumped

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by micahfaulkner75, Aug 1, 2011.

1. micahfaulkner75 macrumors newbie

I've searched the web for weeks looking for an answer to this and turned up nothing, so I thought I'd ask here.

Is there a file format and container that can be dropped into iDVD without any encoding necessary?

I assume it would be some flavor of MPEG-2, but I can't find the documentation that would tell me exactly the specs that iDVD would like.

My plan is to run files such as MKVs and AVIs through ffmpegX before running them through iDVD. Mainly, I'm looking for speed of conversion and burning.

Thanks in advance for your help on this and for any other tips you might have for me!

2. Artful Dodger, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

3. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Won't work. I tried to import MPEG2 out of Compressor. Didn't accept it.

AVI is a Windows container that is not 100% supported in OS X. You have to rewrap the files into a .mov container, before you can work with it flawlessly.

iDVD is part of an idiot-proof workflow. You best don't shake anything and use what iMovie wants (forces) you to use.

4. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

If I want to go from a file to a DVD in the fastest way possible, I use Toast. Admittedly I still use Toast 8...

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

iDVD prefers standard video in standard .mov containers. If the .mov plays on your computer, then iDVD should handle it.

6. OrganMusic macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_9 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E501 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes, toast will burn mpeg2 files quickly without reencoding. I've found the menu authoring rather limited and I've never managed to get it to obey chapter markers from FCE but if that doesn't matter it does a good job.