Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weevil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Since updating my iMac to 10.5.2, my networked Mac Mini 10.3.9 has had issues with launching native Mac applications (Mail, Safari, Software update, Console etc.) but third party applications (Firefox, AdobeCS, Quark etc.) all launch/work fine.

I think it may just be coincidence with regards to linking it to the Leopard update.

I've zapped the VRAM etc. and it did work, but on restart the following day the apps would no longer work again (zapping VRAM does not work now).

Is the battery dying? All the dates etc. are still correct.

ebel3003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
"The Google"
With your System restore discs, I believe you can reinstall all of the included Mac applications by finding the package on the disc. I'd try that first off.

weevil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Thanks for getting back but safe mode restart didn't make any difference.

Think I may have found the solution but can't really explain it:

I have an ethernet cable running from problem mac (mini mac 10.3.9 with no wireless capability) to AEBS so I can share broadband with new iMac OSX 10.5.2. (connecting wirelessly) and file share.

If I restart mini mac without ethernet cable connected everything works ok - I just then have to plug the cable in and it connects straight to the internet.

If I restart again, with it plugged in, none of the Mac apps work.

I've got the solution now but don't understand it - the only thing that has changed is the 10.5.2 update to the other Mac - strange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.