Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davekarn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
Hey guys, my new iMac is coming this week and I was curious if there is a mail client similar to Outlook on Macs out of the box? I think I recall seeing one for Leopard but not Tiger. Thanks for any info!

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....yes, Apple's Mail does the job quite well for most people using 10.4.x just as it has done with all the previous versions of OS X too. If for whatever reason you want an alternative there is always Mozilla's Thunderbird, and if you buy MS Office for Mac you'll get their Entourage program (I am not much of a fan of that one though), and there's several others out there too....oh yeah!

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
you buy MS Office for Mac you'll get their Entourage program (I am not much of a fan of that one though)
I'd probably hold off of MS Office for Mac if you can. The new version of Office which is Office 2008 will be coming out in like 6 months, which will be years better than the last version of Office and will be universal binary as well.

Mail should work just fine.

P.S. Cheers to my 1,000th post :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
When you have Mail x-ed out, but still running for like, 2 hours and then you click on it, does it take a bit to maximize?

I keep it running pretty constantly on my iMac... but I don't minimize it very often (is that what you mean by x-ed out?). I use hiding a lot more than minimization. I've never seen what you describe. I guess it might possibly have to do with it getting cached out of VRAM?

In any event, if Mail doesn't work for whatever reason, other relatively defensible options include Thunderbird/Eudora/Penelope (free) and Entourage (not free).

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
When you have Mail x-ed out, but still running for like, 2 hours and then you click on it, does it take a bit to maximize?

I don't know what that means, but I keep Mail hidden when I'm not using it and it runs 100% of the time, and when I switch back, there's no delay. If you ever see a lag when switching back to an app after not using it for a while, it's because you were running low on RAM, so the OS swapped out the contents to the hard drive, and when you switch back, it has to swap back.

--Eric

iMacBook

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
Down by the bay.
I keep it running pretty constantly on my iMac... but I don't minimize it very often (is that what you mean by x-ed out?). I use hiding a lot more than minimization. I've never seen what you describe. I guess it might possibly have to do with it getting cached out of VRAM?

In any event, if Mail doesn't work for whatever reason, other relatively defensible options include Thunderbird/Eudora/Penelope (free) and Entourage (not free).

Well, because when I had 8 accounts running on Mail, it would take a 1-2 seconds to bring the window back up.

Now I just have two accounts and the remaining three accounts linked to each main account.

davekarn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
Wow thanks a lot for the responses guys! I'm extremely happy to hear that there is a native email client that I don't have to pay for. I was worried that I would have to have .mac to have the email functionality on my desktop. Looking forward to it even more now...just waiting for my status to switch from "Not yet shipped" to "Shipped on...".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.