Native OS X FAT support?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by BeSweeet, Oct 2, 2009.

1. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

So, my Windows 7 partition is FAT (not FAT32 or NTFS). Does OS X have native read/write support for FAT partitions? I had NTFS-3G + MacFUSE installed since day one, but if I don't need it, I'd like to remove it.

2. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Before answering your question, I'd like to state that it's not very sensible to install Windows 7 on a FAT partition. Much of the progress Windows has made since Windows 2000 and much of the stability it has gained is due to NTFS. It is just a much better file system than FAT32 could ever be, let alone FAT16. By the way, are you sure it actually is FAT16? I can't imagine Windows 7 would want to run on FAT16...

As for you question: yes, Mac OS X can both read from and write to FAT16 and FAT32 partitions. So in a way you don't need NTFS-3G, but I suggest you keep it installed and reformat your Boot Camp drive. All newer Windows versions run much, much better on NTFS.

3. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

:confused: Well that's impossible because 7 (and Vista for that matter) will only install on NTFS.

From a Microsoft article (couldn't find an exact page outlining it for 7, but the same rules would apply):

4. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

I read an article earlier today that tells you how to enable native NTFS read/write in Snow Leopard without NTFS-3G or MacFUSE. So while I was installing those two things, I noticed that Disk Utility said it was MS-DOS (FAT). When I did a Get Info on my Windows 7 drive on my desktop, it says "NTFS-3g (MacFUSE)". I'm pretty sure it's NTFS now. I was just getting a little bit confused.

Oh wait: Now I remember why I got confused. Here: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20090913140023382 it says I have to get my UUID for my NTFS partition. But in Disk Utility, it doesn't give me that:
    [​IMG]

Maybe this is what was causing my VMWare Fusion/Parallels problems...

The last thing I did to this partition was use WinClone (when I made an image of the partition, deleted it, made it bigger, formatted it to NTFS, then restore the image).

5. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

That's quite weird, as on my MacBook Disk Utility definitely identifies my Windows Vista partition as a Windows NT File System (NTFS) volume.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Here too. BeSweet, did you use the latest Winclone? I just did something similar on my 13" (backup with Winclone, move and enlarge on a larger drive) and it looks fine as NTFS, but I used the latest Winclone that is Snow Leopard happy.

B

7. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

No, I'm not using Winclone. I've used it in the past, but now it wants to install some software it needs to run, which I won't let it. So now I can't use it anymore. I might try the latest version to see if that doesn't need to install anything extra.

8. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

So here's where I am now: My W7 partition is now seen as NTFS, and my UUID now shows up in diskutil (it didn't before, so maybe it was a NTFS-3G problem?). I just followed this: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20090913140023382 and I'm about to restart to see if it works. Right now, I only have read support.