Native OSX gaming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dipdip, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Dipdip macrumors member

Just wondering if anyone here has had any problems gaming under OSX, like COD 4 or Spore. I know under windows it could cause some problems for a lot of people, but how bout when it runs under OSX?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I played Spore extensively on my MacBook Pro under OS X and never had any problems. Nor have I had any problems with games in general under OS X.

3. Dipdip thread starter macrumors member

Good to know, the reason I ask is that I'm purchasing a new MBP in Jan. and I don't plan on installing Windows. I've been ghosting the forums about video issues but I haven't seen that many threads discussing gaming under OSX vs. bootcamp.

4. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Only ever had one problem playing a game under OS X. That was due to a display driver that was quickly patched. I have had far more problems running games under Windows, actually. Since games have often been released for Windows first, they may have already been patched once or twice before they were ported to OS X.

I do however remember that there were a few games that took severe performance hits when ported back in the PowerPC days. Those were due to the fact that only minimal time, money and effort was invested in the port.

5. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Well on my old iMac I can't play with some certain mods in COD Uo. I don't know why but I just can't download them but that's probably not an issue now.

ChrisN

6. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

The only major game I've played so far is WoW (almost all highs at max resolution) and it's run PHENOMINAL even w/ all my addons.

In fact I tethered my phone via Bluetooth (weaksauce eh!?!) and hopped on a few ago since I'm at work and bored, and it ran actually EXTREMELY smooth considering it was a cell to BT to MAC connection (wish they had a Blackberry USB DUN driver).

So I'm quite happy so far!

7. Dipdip thread starter macrumors member

Anyone have COD 4 on a late 2008 macbook pro osx?

8. akbc macrumors 6502

I do, I play CoD4: Modern Warfare almost EVERYDAY on my Unibody 15" MBPro :)

Very smooth, but I cannot run at the highest settings :(
    But at the right settings, it's absolutely gorgeous :)

you'll love it :D

9. Dipdip thread starter macrumors member

Awesome, great to hear. Do you know if there's an osx demo for that game? I want to put the MBP through its paces before I buy COD4.

10. Junkie2 macrumors member

I play call of duty:WAW a LOT on my new macbook pro (2.52 4gb ram) via bootcamp.

With the updated drivers, i can max out the settings and it runs so smooth. It's perfect.