Native podcast app on watchOS 5?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by satchmo, Apr 1, 2018.

1. satchmo macrumors 68000

What are the chances of this happening? Seems like a given, but Apple has dragged their feet on this.
    Perhaps they could promote watchOS 5's new features such as a new podcast app.
    (Yes, I know there are third party apps.)

2. Der Keyser macrumors regular

Der Keyser

Nahh not happening. If Apple wanted this they would have made it available on wOS3 or 4. This is the drawback to walled gardens - if Apple think it’s not right for you... well then that’s how it’ll go. They have made it excessively difficult/impossible to do it properly with a 3’rd party app as well - probably because they fell it’s not a proper usecase for the watch.

3. satchmo thread starter macrumors 68000

I would think a podcast is no different from listening to music.

However, unlike AppleMusic, Apple doesn't get a cut of any profits from podcasts, as they are generally free.
    So from that perspective, it's not a high priority.

Many have asked what can you do with an AW, especially if you're not into fitness. Adding a podcast app could spur sales of an Apple Watch, especially with the abundance of great shows available.

4. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

I would love to see a PODCAST app for the AW, but if it doesn't come then I'll use the best workaround I've seen so far. Have itunes on your computer download the Pod, check the info (apple+"i") and then change the meta data so it's read as music, not podcast. It will automatically be shifted into your music and then just drag it to a playlist you want to sync to your phone and then to your watch. It will be played like a normal song.

Obviously, there are some steps involved, but I feel it's better than the two or three apps out there that want my info in return for use of the app. Apparently you can't change the volume in those apps either.

The way above is also free. I only listen to two Pods a week, so it's not a massive deal for me, but if you listen to them all the time, this method may be troublesome.

Hope this helps.