Native Processes Hogging Resources and Keychain Going Nuts (after clone to new hdd)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by orvn, Sep 19, 2012.

1. orvn, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

orvn macrumors 6502

I'm running 10.8.1 and decided to clone my HDD to a new one after hearing some clicks and beeps emanating from the chassis.

So I get myself a new (bigger) disk, 750GB, 7200rpm (old one was 500/7200).
    Clone it via USB2 with Carbon Copy Cloner.

My user folder is encrypted with the "legacy" FileVault (from Snow Leopard).

Problem 1:
    So I insert my new drive, everything runs normally except my keychain is going nuts. Apparently OSX can't find my keychain titled "login". So my iChat/Messages (and my browser + many other apps) asks me for passwords often.

Oddly, it seems to remember my wifi passwords just fine.
    [​IMG]
    I click "reset to defaults" and it STILL persists in telling me it can't find my keychain.​

Problem 2:

If that isn't enough, a couple of processes are hogging my CPU, overworking it.

com.apple.dock.extra, CalendarAgent, Messages and mds are the big culprits.

Anyone know of a resolution? Is my user library just all kinds of messed up?

[​IMG]

2. orvn, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

orvn thread starter macrumors 6502

It's as though... all my user-level hidden files weren't copied? I'm noticing icon/window preferences (.DSstore) appear to have been reset.

Does this sound like a sound hypothesis?

Deleted my user com.apple.dock preference list and rebooted the dock. Obviously it reset all the icons to defaults, but it didn't fix my process hog problems. com.apple.dock.extra still dominates.

3. orvn, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

orvn thread starter macrumors 6502

Thread with same issue, unresolved: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4067312?start=0&tstart=0

The guy at the bottom says to just, erm.. delete my user library folder.
    Is that really a great idea? How would I do it (sudo rm -rf ~/Library/*) doesn't do it. Should I boot it in target mode, connect to another mac and then find the folder and delete it, or is there any easier way to do this?

So this is odd, I decided to try to restore from Time Capsule, but it isn't recognizing my drive as the right sparse bundle or whatever.. I can't access my old backups!

Also, I guess as a result of the drive clone, I don't have the Mountain Lion recovery partition (actually, I'm not sure my old drive did), so I can't restore from Time Capsule that way.

4. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Code:
    sudo rm -rf ~/Library/*
    removes everything in the Library folder.

Code:
    sudo rm -rf ~/Library
    would remove the actual Library folder itself.

I don't know whether that will fix your problem or not, though, so I'm bumping this for others to see. Hopefully someone else can help you figure this situation out.

5. orvn thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll try it- thanks for the bump, I really appreciate it.

I'm avoiding using my MBP because the core hits record temperatures (first time I see 100˚C).

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You absolutely should NOT delete the entire Library folder!
    Delete the following:
    /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist
    /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist​
    Then enter this command in Terminal, followed by pressing enter:
    killall Dock​

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)

7. orvn thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I did delete those (and a number of other related) preference lists and similar files. Then I rebooted the dock (and when that didn't work, the entire windowserver).

They're still being process hogs.

Good to know about the fail safe @ 105˚C, I'm on a core 2 duo (mid 09 mbp, no sandy or ivy), does it still apply?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
    1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
      (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.
    Yes, it does apply, although the max temp may be slightly different.

9. orvn thread starter macrumors 6502

Man, I wish I could,
    Now I can't even log in!

Going to troubleshoot this s'more later today!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. brianj1400 macrumors newbie

Here's my processes screen shot

I'm having the same issue with CPU hogging with CalendarAgent / com.apple.dock.extra

I've cleared the pref files mentioned above, killed the dock in the Terminal, rand disk utility for Permissions and Disk Repair. I have even deleted all extra login items for my account, ...to no avail. Is there something to be revealed in this screen shot? PLEASE LMK. :)

-Brian

Attached Files:

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I haven't tried it, but this solution may help, from here:

Also, be sure to restart your Mac to reset your page outs to zero, as you have excessive page outs.