Native swim tracking app on Series 2

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ApplePhy, Sep 10, 2016.

1. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

image.jpeg does anyone have any idea how sophisticated the native swim tracking app on the series 2 will be?

I was watching an Apple Watch Series 2 preview on iMore and came across this screen shot

From the screen looks like:

_stroke type
    _laps
    _active vs total calories
    _pace
    _total time
    -length, total yardage
    _and my favorite: average heart rate

If this is all the info we get from a swim workout, I'll be satisfied.

There are other swim trackers out there that will go in much greater detail (breakdown of each lap by stroke type, lap time, fastest 100 yards, continuous swim without a break, average turn time, etc...). I currently use the MOOV activity tracker, and it's been great. However, the one thing most of these trackers lack is heart rate. Also---I was sick of having to switch out my Apple Watch with another tracker every time I went for a swim.

2. BrodieApple macrumors 6502

BrodieApple

The swim workout will be integrated into the Workout app and yeah it looks like it will have all the stuff listed and possibly more if you scroll down

3. blinkered macrumors newbie

Interesting! I wonder how well the heart rate measurement will work under water.

Someone on twitter found this - "When doing a Pool Swim* in the Workout app, water may prevent a heart rate measurement, but Apple Watch will still track your calories".

Also keen to find out whether open water swim will have GPS maps included in the Activity app like runs seem to.

4. lsh macrumors 6502

I'm hoping DC Rainmaker will do a full review as he does a great job uncovering the features or lack of.
    Sadly, I just bought the Garmin Vivo HR for swimming and its ability to sync with iPhone early this summer. (It also can't track HR in water). I'd rather just use my watch (I have series 1, ordered SS 38 series 2).

5. blinkered macrumors newbie

I'm sure he will! I've ordered a 38 series 2 too, will give it a spin on the 16th.

6. profets macrumors 68040

I'm most excited about this aspect of the Series 2. I've been using my original Apple Watch for over a year for lane swimming and several open water swims (usually at triathlons). I always logged my swims as 'Other' with the Workout app. It was quite good at measuring HR while swimming (of course you need to have it decently tight on the wrist).

7. blinkered macrumors newbie

Looks like open water swims are tracked using GPS, assuming your wrist comes out of the water occasionally!

[​IMG]

8. ApplePhy thread starter macrumors 6502

How do you like your VivoActive HR?

I've heard good things...I'm wondering how it compares to the MOOV NOW tracker for swimming? Often times, my MOOV will frustratingly under report like 10% of my yardage.

As i read all of these early reviews of the Apple Watch series 2 coming in, I'm beginning to realize that the activity app will only Display the prominent stroke during your workout, not display all different strokes used.

Not to say that the series can't differentiate between the different stroke types (it can, and it uses this information to better track calories burned from data gleaned from Apple's swim lab), but I don't believe it will display this information once you're done.

In other words, if you swam 1600 yards free style, and 500 breaststroke, 200 backstroke, then the summary will simply list "freestyle" as your prominent stroke. Along with calories, total yardage,etc...

I'm hoping there will be a swim activity app in the nearby future which will be much more comprehensive and detailed, which can be downloaded and used in lieu of the stock activity app

9. awputra macrumors member

Wow this is so cool. Im buying aw2 only because of the swimming things. Cant wait to have it! Guess i can swim for 5000m with the apple watch lol