Native way to get Gmail Contact Groups to show up in iOS 6?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by avanpelt, Jan 7, 2013.

1. avanpelt macrumors 68020

I'm trying to find a native solution in iOS that will allow me to create a group in Gmail Contacts on the desktop and have that group sync to my iPhone primarily for DnD purposes.

I know there's an app in the App Store that will grab groups info from your Gmail Contacts and sync them with the phone, but I'd prefer not to go that route, if possible.

Can iCloud sync with my Google Contacts seamlessly and remain in sync? I understand that iCloud supports groups on the iPhone natively. If I use iCloud for contacts on the phone, I want to be able to edit contacts on the phone and have the changes automatically sync to my Gmail contacts. Is this possible?

2. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Its possible for your gmail contacts and iPhone to sync but you cannot sync gmail to icloud contacts. If you setup gmail as exchange server and enable contacts in the settings it will sync 2-way with gmail when you create contacts either from iPhone or Gmail but not to your iCloud contacts list

3. avanpelt thread starter macrumors 68020

I've had Gmail setup as Exchange and have been syncing contacts that way for a while. The only thing that won't sync through an Exchange setup is the groups info in Gmail Contacts. Setting Gmail contacts up to sync via CardDAV also doesn't sync Gmail Contact groups info.

I guess I can just manually add the contacts to iCloud that I want to put in a group on the iPhone for DnD purposes. From everything I've read, it seems that I can have my iPhone sync to multiple sources for Contacts simultaneously. Then, I can set the iPhone up so that Gmail is the default for adding and modifying contact data. I guess I'll have to set the iPhone up this way until Gmail syncs Contact groups to iOS devices.