Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
http://www.netbooknavigator.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26&Itemid=81

With its amazingly thin 0.8" form factor and sleek, attractive design, the Nav 9 Slate PC sets a new standard for the future of mobile computing. A truly remarkable innovation, this model is the first of its kind to be custom fitted with a "multi-touch" enabled LCD screen, fully supporting all of the exciting new features available in Windows® 7!

"Setting the standard for the future of mobile computing"?... uhhm, HOW?. Oh, that's right - slapping a desktop OS on a tablet, and calling it the de-facto device... had to laugh!. If it wasn't ridiculous enough that these people still haven't cottoned onto the fact that an OS needs to be re-designed (and I don't mean bits ripped out, and UIs modified) for a touch device, it is running Windows 7!!.

The sheer number of idiots in the world population never ceases to amaze me.

Will this madness ever end?. I see an "iPad killer" situation about to begin.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
http://www.netbooknavigator.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26&Itemid=81

"Setting the standard for the future of mobile computing"?... uhhm, HOW?. Oh, that's right - slapping a desktop OS on a tablet, and calling it the de-facto device... had to laugh!. If it wasn't ridiculous enough that these people still haven't cottoned onto the fact that an OS needs to be re-designed (and I don't mean bits ripped out, and UIs modified) for a touch device, it is running Windows 7!!.

The term "killer" should be banned right along with "fail" and other such things in the realm of hyperbole.

Why did you have to laugh? What's funny about the device? And isn't a tablet with Mac's OS X what a lot of people were hoping for and wanted. If so - why is it so funny that someone on the PC side is doing just that.

But maybe you are so far gone into Apple territory than anything not Apple is funny to you. Or that - heaven forfend, there's healthy competition in the marketplace.

Get over it.

PlayHard

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC

Why not call it the standard. Steve called the iTouch Maxi "Revolutionary" :D
Relax...I'm kidding...it's ok to laugh.:p

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I stay amazed at the number of people pushing Windows alternatives to the iPad. I've basically washed my hands with Windows PC's and won't touch another one. While I was working (I'm retired now), I was system manager responsible for a large number of Windows PC's. Just as soon as I retired, I bought a Mac and haven't been happier. My daughter, who is a school teacher, keeps bringing me PC after PC to work on from her fellow teachers. Every time the problem is virus' or spyware. The latest one was so bad, the only way to fix it was to reinstall Windows completely. Why people keep thinking Windows would be a good OS for a tablet, beats the heck out of me. Oh I remember - they can watch videos on Hulu.

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada

I think a fair number of previously non-existent companies are planning to import the same chinese tablet and rebrand it. They don't appear to be actual design companies.

Compare the edges of this Render:
http://netbooknavigator.com/images/stories/891a/Image_01-Front.jpg
With the Render at the top of this page:
http://www.exopc.com/fr/exopc-slate.php

Both appear to be companies that never had a product before. They could well be one guy in a basement building a web page. If they get interest, they can place an order in China for the tablet with their LOGO.

Other than that, ACTUAL win7 tablets so far have been fairly lack luster.

If you do actually want a windows tablet, the HP slate (coming later) might at least run at a decent speed, and have a real company behined it, but it will probably end up expensive.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
The term "killer" should be banned right along with "fail" and other such things in the realm of hyperbole.

Why did you have to laugh? What's funny about the device? And isn't a tablet with Mac's OS X what a lot of people were hoping for and wanted. If so - why is it so funny that someone on the PC side is doing just that.

But maybe you are so far gone into Apple territory than anything not Apple is funny to you. Or that - heaven forfend, there's healthy competition in the marketplace.

Get over it.

Calm. Down.

Cinemagic

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
Not nearly as nice as a Macbook Pro. But it's nicer than an iPad. It's everything the iPad should have been (except for Win7). If only the iPad had OSX, larger and expandable storage, and...... oh, sorry, that's my vision of a tablet, not Steve Jobs' vision.

rittchard

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
This is pretty interesting as it corrects some of my biggest gripes with the Archos 9. Boosting the processor speed to 1.6GHz, 2GB of RAM and using an SSD should make for tremendous performance improvements overall.

What I can't tell is how well the multi-touch interface and on screen keyboard will work. For the latter I suppose you can always find an alternative that will be decent, but the touch interface is critical.

Now of course at 2 pounds and 0.8" thick it's going to be far chunkier than the iPad and pricing is not particularly appealing. Given that you have Win 7 installed, you really should get at minimum the 32GB hard drive since Windows is going to suck up a big chunk; this means the entry price is effectively $899.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Not nearly as nice as a Macbook Pro. But it's nicer than an iPad. It's everything the iPad should have been (except for Win7). If only the iPad had OSX, larger and expandable storage, and...... oh, sorry, that's my vision of a tablet, not Steve Jobs' vision.

Buy one, turn it into a HacknPad.

Interesting that it is a smaller screen, but thicker, heavier, and more expensive. Interesting. Doesn't look bad for what it does, but not something I would want.

Cinemagic

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
Buy one, turn it into a HacknPad.

Interesting that it is a smaller screen, but thicker, heavier, and more expensive. Interesting. Doesn't look bad for what it does, but not something I would want.

Oh, me neither. I love my Macbook Pro. And I love my iPhone. I was looking forward to the iPad, but all it is is a large screen iPod Touch. I was extremely disappointed. I hope it succeeds, but unfortunately it won't be because of me. :(

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Oh, me neither. I love my Macbook Pro. And I love my iPhone. I was looking forward to the iPad, but all it is is a large screen iPod Touch. I was extremely disappointed. I hope it succeeds, but unfortunately it won't be because of me. :(

Dollars-to-donuts when you try one you'll want one.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Dollars-to-donuts when you try one you'll want one.

I love these general comments. Stop projecting. You have no idea what he or others will or won't want. You only know what you want. Let's leave it at that.

thejakill

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2005
people say "big ipod touch" like it's a racial slur.

even if that were true (which it isn't) it would be awesome.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
people say "big ipod touch" like it's a racial slur.

even if that were true (which it isn't) it would be awesome.

They clearly intend it to be a negative, but they fail to realize those who like the idea of the iPad don't really care if that's all it is. The larger screen is one of the reasons it will attract developers to get more creative and do more things with it. Faster hardware will also allow them to bring more advanced apps to the iPad. Sounds to me like a good thing.

That type of comment from "big" to "XL" always stuck me as odd, as if bigger is bad? I've never seen anyone turn down upgrading to a larger LCD screen for their computer. More screen real estate works for me. Making it easier for me to do all the things I already love doing. Top that off with the fact I will use some of the apps i really love but have issues with the screen size, such as web, VNC clients etc.. I'd love to see a 12" or 13" iPad someday as an option. Who knows, either way the iPad as a larger iPT is Win/Win for me.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Microsoft and their OEM-Johns still don't get it.

This I think is a big issue. Given Apple's aggressive first step into this new market, they are going to make it hard for partnerships to succesfully compete with them.

It really is going to take someone who makes both the hardware and software to compete, or a hardware manufacturer who hopes Google can keep improving Android to the point of creating a competitive product.

Hoping for a Windows/HP/Dell/whomever solution to be a competitive player in the tablet market any time soon is not likely. Sure they might come in with sub-par tablets that are made of inferior parts, and a less usable UI, but in terms of creating a real competitor at the 499 entry level, it is not going to happen.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Pricing

Wi-Fi 3G 16GB iPad is $170 cheaper - $629 vs $899 Nav 9 (without the 4 hour battery)
Wi-Fi 3G 32GB iPad is $270 cheaper - $729 vs $999 Nav 9 (without the 4 hour battery)
Wi-Fi 3G 64GB iPad is $320 cheaper- $829 vs $1149 Nav 9 (without the 4 hour battery)

You do get a carry case and a car charger and free US shipping.
And a handkerchief to wipe away the tears of joy.

HP might have something with their backing, once they get past that "prototype" label Ballmer gave it.

Going to be so much fun running Windows Security Essentials on a Tablet powered processor...

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Going to be so much fun running Windows Security Essentials on a Tablet powered processor...
Not to mention Windows 7 itself. Windows really is a lot better than it used to be, but it's not great on an Atom. Not just the speed (that's part of it) but the interface too. I really don't understand people who want regular Mac OSX on a touch device, it wouldn't be very good either.

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
I think the main thing people don't get is that the iPad is more of an appliance than a computer. You turn it on, and it responds to your every movement & touch, and just plain "works". There's no file system to mess-up, no anti-virus software to install, no windows to move around the screen... The OS disappears when an app is running, and the device becomes whatever you want it to be.

Trying to squeeze a desktop OS designed for a desktop computer, with a mouse as input into a touchscreen just won't work. but, to these big computer companies, it seems like the safe approach... go with what you already know, instead of taking a leap of faith or vision.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
and just plain "works".

The problem that might arise form John Q Public is that it doesn't. I'm not trying to be antagonistic. But if we are to believe some of the posters here and their opinions of the public - they won't see the iPad as working when they can't visit some of their favorite sites without being broken. Or that they can't have a document open while IMing with their friend.

I am NOT saying the iPad isn't a wonderful device - or appliance as you suggest. But this whole "it just works" campaign doesn't work for me...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.