Navigation app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by sultanoflondon, Dec 26, 2016.

1. sultanoflondon macrumors regular

Hi all,

I was wondering whether there is an app that I can use in the car for navigation that does not require a data connection? It needs to provide the following.
    • Turn-by-turn directions
    • Traffic rerouting
    • Latest mapping

Thank you!

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Google maps can download a chunk of map on wifi and provide 2/3. However no app can deal with live traffic without a data connection.

3. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

I love and use Navmii (site, UK map - App Store, US map - App Store). It is focussed on offline use. It's free but please note that removing the ads (which I did instantly) cost you 1.99 euro/dollar or 1.50 pounds once. Aside from that each other country will cost you a around 3 euro/dollar or 2.29 pounds but it's definitely worth it. I've used it in the Netherlands, Germany and Spain already and it works pretty good and is up to date.

Some features like adding a favorite place could be a bit more easier to reach though.

It also has a nice feature to switch to 'walking' mode instead of car mode.

4. harlenmm77 macrumors 6502

You won't get traffic info without having a data connection. How is it supposed to know if there is traffic if it's not connected to the Internet?

5. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

On a related note, I'm looking for a weather app that'll provide the forecast without an internet connection along with a news app that'll predict the future news. Thanks!

6. MainStream macrumors member

MainStream

You may want to look at Navigon. I don't use it any longer but I believe it has all the features yu are looking for.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Traffic updates without using data?

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Perhaps there could be an app that senses the driver's blood pressure rising (with a wearable device) due to a traffic snarl and will reroute.

9. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

That isn't possible I think. The only thing it maybe could do is say it based on data from the previous days/years (history) and predict that it's always busy around this time/day on this road and instead use another road. I think Google Maps (web version at least) has that feature as well.

10. geta macrumors 6502a

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

With traffic updates that don't use data?

12. zohaali146 macrumors regular

I usually use Siri to ask for directions but it requires an internet connection as you may have known already.

13. TacoJamie macrumors newbie

TacoJamie

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

And doesn't need data for all those things that were mentioned (like traffic updates)?

15. kingston73 macrumors 6502

I think it's pretty well established and common sense, no nav app at all will give you traffic updates without using data, NOT POSSIBLE. So OP, the answer to your question is no, there is nothing at all that will give you everything you want. Everything suggested so far will give you some of those but really, think about it, how could an app possibly know if there's traffic ahead if it isn't connected to anything??

16. Kris28 macrumors newbie

Kris28

LUCKY YOU, you didn't bought anything more from ALK ,,technologies"- they support only developer not customers- I hope you will have no any problem with applet-

I was stupid as hell- I paid for 2 products- CoPilot Europe and HUD Connector in appl purchase to be able to use hi-tech Pioneer SPX01 HUD (£600) for navigation- most advance with virtual screen thanks to laser projection - I was happy 2 years only as they decided now without any warning to remove this option from new version. and my request to restore my full licence is deny. Support doing job to keep developers happy but not customers even in situation where any sentinel creature with half brain only can easy understand thats if customer ordered and paid for 2 hamburgers but waiter give him 1 only- that's waiter or his boss is a crook! Really it's hard job for support to support their employer against customers genuine problems!

• My advice- before you buy - check customers opinion about developer support , second- this applet have very poor updates system for maps and cameras. Try competitors as TomTom with frequent updates or others

i feel like is my really duty to inform in many places as possible, just let potential customers know and think twice before they decide to buy