Navigation Apps For iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by jds96d, Mar 22, 2013.

1. jds96d macrumors member

Hi, I have an old iPhone 4S that I have been using as a Touch. It doesn't have a service plan/data plan on it. I have heard that apps such as Navigon, TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, and Sygnic have offline navigation through their downloaded maps. I understand that this works through the iPhone GPS signal. I was wondering if anyone has tried these "offline" before. If so, how accurate are they? Does voice navigation still work offline? How well does it autocorrect on a route offline? Thanks for the help.

2. erichess22 macrumors regular

Without an Internet connection of some sort the apps can't refresh at all and give new navigations. The turn by turn for all apps I've used doesn't work with turn by turn offline either. Using navigation offline is going to be pretty tough. :/

3. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Are you sure? Over at TomTom's they (among other things) write:

and
    Sort of implies that it should work offline IMHO. Never tried it, though.

4. jds96d thread starter macrumors member

It is funny because I have heard from both sides claiming the opposite. I have heard the manufacturers say it works completely fine with out a data signal and I've heard users say they have no success navigating with out a signal. This is why I'm really confused about it and don't want to drop $25-65 on an app if it doesn't work offline. Thanks for the thoughts. What do you think? Any one ever tried this?

5. erichess22 macrumors regular

yeah like i said i've never tried them. But that seems to be a pretty strong claim that it would work? I would try and do google research if it's an expensive app.

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I have used Navigon in Europe, USA and Australia on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4/4S and iPad(s) on my holidays.

All versions of Navigon worked fine without a SIM card in the iOS device.

7. jds96d thread starter macrumors member

Did "voice" and redirections work for you to without data? Thanks for the info.

8. jds96d thread starter macrumors member

9. PinoyAko macrumors 6502

I am using TomTom and it works great even without the data turned on.

10. jds96d thread starter macrumors member

For this reason then would you recommend Tomtom over Navigon, Garmin, and Sygnic?

11. err404 macrumors 68020

Speaking from personal experiance, most Nav apps that include the map data will run fine w/o network access. This includes TomTom, Navigon etc. Keep in mind that the initial GPS lock will take a bit longer since it cant estimate from cell location and real time data like traffic will not be available.
    A cool feature of the TomTom data set is that they have a profile of expected traffic volume built in. This means that it is aware of heavy rush hour traffic even w/o a live data connection. (I'm not sure if Navigon also does this)
    BTW. Personally I am a big fan of TomTom. It may not be the prettiest app, but I found the routing and ETA to be better than Navigon. I have never used Garmin, but I assume routing is the similar to Navigon since they are the same parent company. I have no opinion of Sygnic.