Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lewisb1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Canada
I know that this must have been discussed many times before but I am wondering as to people's opinions as to the accuracy & the efficiency of directions, etc. for navigation apps on iPhone 5? I know that they are all not perfect but I am trying to find out which one's are the "best"?

Can people enlighten me so that it could be helpful in choosing the better GPS navigation app for iPhone 5?

Thanks

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I've used Navigon since my 3GS days....still think it's great....it now ties in with the Bluetooth in my car so that upcoming directions mute the radio and come over the car speakers instead of just the tiny phone speakers

lewisb1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Canada
I've used Navigon since my 3GS days....still think it's great....it now ties in with the Bluetooth in my car so that upcoming directions mute the radio and come over the car speakers instead of just the tiny phone speakers

I read some reviews that state Navigon is not working too well with IOS 7. Is this true?

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
I haven't had any issues with its functionality....the only issue was when I first upgraded to iOS 7 - Navigon "forgot" that I had purchased the entire North America maps Freshmaps package, not just the US. I had to uninstall the app, then re-install, and "restore previous purchases" and everything was fine.

lewisb1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Canada
I haven't had any issues with its functionality....the only issue was when I first upgraded to iOS 7 - Navigon "forgot" that I had purchased the entire North America maps Freshmaps package, not just the US. I had to uninstall the app, then re-install, and "restore previous purchases" and everything was fine.

Thanks. How would you compare Navigon with Tomtom?

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
I haven't used TomTom since the days of my discrete GPS units....at that time the TomTom interface seemed more simplistic and maps screens less informative.....but I guess that could be good or bad depending on what you were looking for in a GPS.

blue-fireball

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2014
I use Apple maps 99% of the time. The only time I use Google maps is if I need to look inside a mall. In my region (Nashville, TN) I have not run into trouble with Apple Maps since I really started using it during the iOS 7 beta period. With iOS 6, I was mostly using Waze. I have had Navigon for several years, but it takes so long to load that i just got tired of waiting on it. I was happy to free up space by deleting it.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Navigon would be my first choice for none data usage with it's downloaded Maps on the iPhone, but wonder if Google Maps, being free, would also be OK to have in a pinch, and does it use carrier data if anyone knows.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
Google maps does use carrier data, but supposedly there is a way to have it store maps for your travell area offline - you'd have to Google it to find out how since I use Navigon and don't have to worry about it.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Google maps does use carrier data, but supposedly there is a way to have it store maps for your travell area offline - you'd have to Google it to find out how since I use Navigon and don't have to worry about it.

Many thanks. Now off my list ;) I'll stick with Navigon

lewisb1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Canada
Many thanks. Now off my list ;) I'll stick with Navigon

I also agree that Maps and Google maps are ok but they do use data and I still feel they are not up to "scratch" compared to the "big boys". I have had incidences where Maps or Google Maps have erred in directions as well as quickest route choice.
I would prefer either Navigon or Tomtom. Does anyone have any views as to which is better or does it come down to personal preference? I have used Tomtom as a standalone but have not used either Navigon or Tomtom as an iPhone app.

Thanks

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
With navigon or tomtom, having offline maps, how much if any data is used when using turn by turn directions?

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
With navigon or tomtom, having offline maps, how much if any data is used when using turn by turn directions?

You can get by with zero. When I was in Mexico I used Navigon without turning on data roaming. Really like Navigon, by the way. I used it to replace my stand-alone Garmin.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
What about TomTom & Navigon?

TomTom was awesome prior to iOS 7. At least when iOS 7 launched it broke, navigation would just stop. There have been updates since then, and I haven't tried it since the last update, so it may be fixed now. Really was great until iOS 7.

lewisb1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Canada
TomTom was awesome prior to iOS 7. At least when iOS 7 launched it broke, navigation would just stop. There have been updates since then, and I haven't tried it since the last update, so it may be fixed now. Really was great until iOS 7.

I have used it for about 1 month with the latest app update and the new IOS update. There is no problems that I have found. It seems to work very well.
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.