Navigation apps

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by amazonpam, Dec 21, 2011.

1. amazonpam macrumors member

I'm currently using a Droid and the app I use most is the vocal turn by turn navigation program. I was going to get an Apple next month but I found out there's no native app that does what I need. Looking in the app store MotionX seems to be the way to go Although their yearly fee is a turn off. Any other apps that I should consider and why?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

3. Dazd macrumors member

I agree, definitely Navigon. I upgraded my 3GS to the 4S a month ago and looked at the nav apps available, reviews, comments etc and went for Navigon. I have to say I'm really pleased with the app, great maps & directions and recalculate times are very quick if you come off the route. For what you get I don't think the price is too bad :)

4. goofy1958 macrumors regular

I'd have to throw my hat in with Navigon as well. Have been using it for about 3 months, and it works great. I purchased the full US version, and decided to add the Freshmaps XL to receive more frequent updates, and that added all of Canada as well. I travel, so it is important to have the most up-to-date maps I can. In addition, you can choose to only download the states you want. Highly recommended.

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

MotionX is okay, but the problem is the app only weighs a few MB's which means everything has do be downloaded (maps and GPS location) which causes some serious battery drain and is slow depending where you are. Navigon is over 1 GB and it has all of the maps already downloaded so all your phone is doing is using the GPS. This means less data used, better performance, and a hell of a lot less battery drainage. Navigon also has free voice and a ton of more features compared to MotionX. From what i've heard, the TomTom and Garmin apps aren't bad either, but Navigon is still at the top.

6. Victor Star macrumors member

I have both Navigon and TomTom, and a few others that I don't use for travel. I prefer Navigon but the routing isn't as good as on the TomTom. Every year I go from KC to Shreveport and every year Navigon routes me through St. Louis and Nashville. (it adds over 300 miles instead of taking a direct route). One year I decided to let it attempt to reroute but for 2 hours it kept telling me to turn around, I gave up. I have tried every setting and always have the latest updates but that route always comes up the same.

I use both but I double check any route given by them.

7. jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

Navigon works well for me. But as Victor Star posted, some have issues with it's navigation. So, YMMV.

8. rockman0 macrumors newbie

I use Mapquest, which is completely free. It hasn't failed me yet.

9. gaanee macrumors 65816

Does Navigon or TomTom app require data plan? I've iPhone 3GS without a data plan so will any of these apps work as a standalone GPS without net access?

10. gillybean macrumors 6502a

I have both Waze (free GPS) and Navigon ($60 for North America + Traffic), and I find myself using Waze more often now because (1) it does better traffic-based routing and traffic-based time estimates, and (2) it works even when you don't have an exact GPS lock (e.g. inside a parking garage), while Navigon needs an exact GPS lock or else it will refuse to give you any route. However, I do keep Navigon around because it has (1) more reliable maps, (the Waze maps are all user-contributed so there are sometimes errors, like highway exits being marked with the wrong number), (2) it claims it can work without a data connection, and (3) it has nice graphics for highway exits that are much more useful than what Waze gives you when you get off a highway. Sometimes I'll even have both Navigon and Waze running at the same time now.

11. takeshi74, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

takeshi74 macrumors 601

You need to provide the why.

If you need locally stored map data then definitely check out TomTom and Navigon.

What's important to you in a nav app? What's not? Budget? Don't overlook existing threads discussing nav apps.

Not for map data. However, data features such as Google searching, traffic, etc obviously will require data.

Not just a claim. As stated above, data is not needed for maps with TomTom or Navigon.

Simply subjective -- as with any question of best on any topic.

GPS location isn't downloaded. It's determined by the GPS receiver using signal from the GPS satellites.

The GPS receiver uses far more battery than data usage.

12. DocNYz macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

Totally agree. It's much better than any stand alone GPS device i've used as well. It's cheaper now than it used to be.

For totally free, map quest is not horrible and waze is ok

13. Victor Star macrumors member

I use my old 3GS for navigation. No data plan required unless you want traffic updates or other bells and whistles.

14. mbleopard macrumors regular

I use Waze, I haven't used many turn-by-turn navigation apps on the iPhone but this one has come a long way since I first tried it a few years back. It shows traffic, locations of speed cameras, red light cameras, cops shooting radar, etc.

Since its free I'd recommend at least trying it out before spending money on a more expensive one.

15. DocNYz macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

Yeah this is another benefit of Navigon is since the maps are downloaded to your device it only needs input from the gps etc to pinpoint your location, it's not downloading the map info as you go the way google and waze etc all do

16. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

+1

It's literally about to be voted number one on MacStories and TUAW tonight.

17. ijha, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

ijha macrumors regular

ijha

I have a quick question about Navigon. It seems that everybody is upset about Navigon's new fee-based map update policy.

But some people say that Navigon will still provide a new map update free of charge even without buying the fee-based update program. Yet, I have never seen Navigon's official statement that they would update the map free of charge.

Anyone knows about their map update policy? I'd like to try this app but their policy on this seems not clear to us.
    Thanks,

18. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I believe the Fresh Maps in-app payment is a much more aggressive monthly update whereas for free they'll update you next year once.

19. Meever macrumors 6502a

I like Tomtom better.
    It's cleaner
    easier to customize route (avoid certain roads/make detours/etc)
    more customization (icons, additional voices, etc)

But for whatever reason both of them suck at PoI compared to coPilot. Not sure why.....

20. daytona macrumors regular

daytona

I looked in TomTom along with the iPhone Car Kit....and what I read at the "app" store reviews........ A MAJORITY of the reviews are NOT happy at all. A LOT of negative input from many people who purchased the app and the car kit.
    Just observation ... so far.