Navigation-Based Application without TableView

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by cathy88, Jun 26, 2011.

1. cathy88 macrumors member

Hey,

I am trying to create an application with NavigationController. I was able to do this from following a youtube tutorial. But the tutorial did all the NavigationController stuff without the interface builder. The only time that was used was to load the actual Viewcontroller.

My question is that, is it possible to start a program with a Navigation-Based Application and modify it to take out the TableView rather have just some kind of root view that is a viewcontroller (not a table view).

When I try to make the modification the program always crashes

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

Yes, it is possible.

3. cathy88 thread starter macrumors member

Would someone mind pointing me the right direction?
    Is there something particular i can read about?
    Most of the tutorial I have read is using Table View?

4. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

NavigationControllers can be used with any view(s) you want. Most developers use it with tableViews so when the user pushes a new view from a tableViewCell, they can get back to the main view.

5. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

The most basic Navigation Controller inside Xcode, is the one with the tableview.
    So quite easily, go to your XIB file, you see all the things inside your xib, delete the table view, drag a normal VIEW from the library, then press CTRL+Click'n'Drag to the view, and assign it to the value, View. Then, just build upon the view. And tadaaa. And don't forget to delete all the code of the UITableView :)

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Another option is to start with a View-Based application template and add in the navigation controller layer.