Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
Hi,
I have an iPhone 5 and a Nexus 7. Earlier this week I was driving to Atlanta and it appeared that Navigation was a few seconds slower on a number of occasions and sometimes was significantly slower then did a "String of voice directions" to catch up. (Like, TakeExit85BtoMariettaStayLeftMoveRightProceed8miles....."

Has anyone else seen this?

Google Maps on iOS were fine (had them both running, son's iPhone 5) at the same time to test the difference if any.

Just thought it was strange. Happened enough to notice it, didn't cause a huge issue because when we hit Atlanta it was rush hour, (ugh) so I could have been hand delivered directions by Pony Express and it wouldn't have mattered! :)

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I was using Google Maps Navigation a few days ago after the new update, and noticed there was a delay too with the tracker (not so much the voice directions, though).

For example, I'd be at the intersection of a street already, but the marker/arrow indicating my exact location was still half a block behind. Then it'd "jump" to where I was. Happened a few times throughout.

I'm guessing early bugs? Submit report if you experience it. I did. Google Maps was always on target before and this needs to be addressed or directions for turns/exists can be missed very easily.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
I was using Google Maps Navigation a few days ago after the new update, and noticed there was a delay too with the tracker (not so much the voice directions, though).

For example, I'd be at the intersection of a street already, but the marker/arrow indicating my exact location was still half a block behind. Then it'd "jump" to where I was. Happened a few times throughout.

I'm guessing early bugs? Submit report if you experience it. I did. Google Maps was always on target before and this needs to be addressed or directions for turns/exists can be missed very easily.

GPS can drop in and out depending on a number of factors to include dead zones, obstructions like overhead bridges, tall buildings, trees, where you place the phone in the car, if you have a metal case on your phone, number of satellites overhead, electro-magnetic interference (earthquake, lightning storm, or even a large coronal mass ejection from the sun requiring temporary satellite shutdown and/or redistribution, just so happens we have a large CME hitting earth on Saturday), etc...

While GPS can continue on in "dumb" mode, basically taking last known speed and direction and get you close to your next turn, it will require updating when it gets the next lock, giving you that "hiccup" effect.

Or, just download your maps and go into offline mode. (Nokia Lumia devices appear to have Google beat in offline map navigation though.)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.