navigon for ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by ansabakhan, Oct 24, 2010.

1. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i dont see a navigon for ipad out yet.. is there any good navigation for US maps close to Tom Tom or Navigon ?

2. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

3. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

fwiw i don't mind running the navigon iphone app on the ipad. works fine (i already owned it so i didnt bother looking for ipad specific nav apps)

4. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i did search found nothing for nagivation

5. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

does it function fine ..?

6. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

Ok, what you need to do is VERY simple. Open iTunes, open the iTunes Store, type "navigon" into the search box, search, filter by "apps", you will see all the different apps for Navigon based on region, click the region you want. Done.

7. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

I think he meant a version specific to the iPad
    Four simple steps:

1) Jailbreak your iPad.
    2) Download the iPhone version of Navigon. (Legally - it's nice to repay developers for their work - but it will work if you get it by other ways).
    3) Download and install Full Force, using cydia (Big boss repo)
    4) Then go to "Settings" click "Full Force" and select "Navigon ... (whatever region you chose), then it will look like a iPad app.

Pics (Look at post: 25)

8. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

oh Great !!! thats what i was looking for ... ill try this tonight !

9. ridx macrumors newbie

Co-pilot makes one specifically for the ipad. Unfortunately for me purchased it and then realized the WiFi model doesn't have a gps chip. Looks good though.

10. lapocompris macrumors regular

11. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Navigon using fullforce on an ipad is just ok, it gets the job done but isn't worth the money IMO. I had already purchased it for my iphone so didn't mind so much.

The main reason why is the display, even with full force enabled you still only get a certain amount of information on the screen, specifically you get the same information as on the iphone screen. If they really made an ipad version then you'd see much more detail, more streets/street names, etc in the map screen, as it is it's a bit of a pain.

Navigon also has a couple of idiotic things that drive me nuts, for example when navigating in heads up mode if you click to pan the map it goes to north up mode and there is no option for panning to be done in heads up mode, this totally screws me up as invariably the map will swing upside down or something.

I'd say it's worth it if you are planning on using it on your iphone as well. There is also the fact that there is very little available for GPS for the ipad specifically, I wonder what the hell happened here? Why is no one really providing a specific ipad GPS program? Yes I've seen the copilot one, but I'd really love Navigon or TomTom.