Navigon, Garmin, Tomtom??????

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Dazd, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Dazd macrumors member

Hi all
    I know this has been looked at before and debated but I'm looking at getting one of the big name sat nav apps for my iPhone 4S. Which is best? I'm looking for more UK orientated points of view, there's been a lot of talk about more US related stuff (which maps etc) which is fine, I just need a uk opinion.

Now Garmin has Navigon, will they merge? Which app will stay? I've read posts saying Navigon can send you on some weird and interesting routes, does the Garmin app have the same problem? Does nothing come close to Tomtom's IQ routes? I'm not too fussed about the GUI so long as I can enter a destination easily and the live display gives me clear speed, lane info etc. Is the speed/traffic camera data better on one app when compared to the others? Are the voices on Tomtom THAT bad?

And how about the in-app purchases like traffic, cams, map updates? Worth the money? Which one is best? Is the 3D Panorama worth purchasing in Navigon?

My other half has Navigon and swears by it but reading various comments I'm not sure with the latest big update (she hasn't updated yet).

Huge thanks for any help given :)

Daz

Finally, do you think the prices will drop any further on Friday?

2. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

I have 3 GPS on my phone. Waze, Navigon, MotionX.

Waze is by far my favorite, and it's free. Navigon is good, but a bit over priced. It works good, but I love WAZE so much, I don't get much use out of Navigon.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Read any of the existing threads? There's an active Navigon 2.0 thread in this very subforum that you should read through.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Navigon! 110%

Tom Tom... U turn on a motorway. Seriously?

Others... They just don't compare!

5. Dazd thread starter macrumors member

Yes but they tended to drift into purchase problems and they seemed very US orientated. I wanted a UK point of view in case maybe maps or traffic wasn't as good or was better etc.

Seems to be a very positive Navigon response but I'm a little concerned with the reports of the app crashing since the new big update. Do these problems seem to be isolated problems and the majority are very. Appy with the new Navigon app?

Thanks

Daz :)

6. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I turn on a motorway all the time....I don't need tomtom to suggest it to me.;)

7. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

Why spend money when WAZE is free?

8. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Winning!

;)

9. Dazd thread starter macrumors member

What's the data usage like with Waze? I prefer the idea of Navigon etc storing maps on the iPhone so you're not reliant on a constant data connection. My plan gives me 500MB of data a month (yes I can up that but why spend the extra), would Waze eat that up?