Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2009
http://navigationevent.com/blog/200...-leads-the-way-on-the-iphone-already-in-june/

I'm still not too familiar with Navigon but from everything I've seen so far (UI), it looks really nice.

To answer another poster's question, my understanding was that due to financial reasons and competition, Navigon left the US *hardware* Market (ie: PNDs) but in return, they went the route of *software* for the iphone - US included (at least I sure hope so). So hopefully, the new software will sell well in the App Store.

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Garmin and tomtom will be in the store this month too, hopefully that will keep the prices reasonable as well as give us options to find our favorite.

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2009
Garmin and tomtom will be in the store this month too, hopefully that will keep the prices reasonable as well as give us options to find our favorite.

TomTom yes, but not Garmin. Garmin's already gone on record as stating that their going to focus on their Nuviphone vs. releasing any software on the iphone (IMO, they're going to look back at this decision years from now and regret it) -- unless there was some breaking news I missed in the past 24 hours.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...solution_providers_plan_iphone_offerings.html

But G-Map will be in the App Store most likely (the pre-3.0 version is already there).

peterja

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2008
From the press release,

Within this month MobileNavigator will be available in the international AppStore where iPhone users can choose between various options. One option is the LITE Version available for free[, with no active route guidance, but with map material and the possibility to display POIs (points of interest) in the vicinity. Another option is the full version, which navigates users quickly and reliably to their destination.

http://www.slashgear.com/navigon-mobilenavigator-promised-for-iphone-os-30-0946501/

Sounds like the will be giving away quite a comprehensive app to push sales.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
TomTom yes, but not Garmin. Garmin's already gone on record as stating that their going to focus on their Nuviphone vs. releasing any software on the iphone (IMO, they're going to look back at this decision years from now and regret it) -- unless there was some breaking news I missed in the past 24 hours.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...solution_providers_plan_iphone_offerings.html

But G-Map will be in the App Store most likely (the pre-3.0 version is already there).

Article from DEc 2008 - http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/chris-dannen/techwatch/what-ever-happened-garmins-nuvifone

The nuvifone seemed ready to ship as far back as January of 2008; back then it would have been an industry leader, with 3.5G connectivity, full GPS navigation and all the usual tricks: Internet, email, and text messaging.
Then July 2008 rolled around, and there was still no nuvifone. In a statement, Garmin said that it was taking longer than anticipated to fulfill some "carrier-specific requirements," and that the company was working to resolve the problems.
It's nearly 2009, and Garmin has said that it will finally launch the nuvifone in the first half of next year. But Garmin has also recently joined Google's [GOOG] Open Handset Alliance, spurring speculation that it will release an Android phone next year.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Why would garmin put their app on the iphone when they have their own phone coming out?

Makes no sense... But it would make sense to cancel their phone ;)

williamgallas10

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
Why would garmin put their app on the iphone when they have their own phone coming out?

It does make sense to have it in the app store. Its going to be a huge seller and thus lots of money for garmin.

Macisgr8

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2008

Amazon Kindel (or what ever the heck its called) has its own divice yet they released an app and even bought Stanza.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
My money will to to the smallest file-sized GPS App, regardless of price or quality (since they will all basically do the same thing and I don't need all the bells and whistles).

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2009
G-Map

Just got a reply from G-Map.

Their representative said that the updated 3.0 version of G-Map should launch "within a week hopefully earlier than Navigon."

For half the USA, the app runs for $24.99. So for a little over $50, you get the entire country. It'll be interesting to see how the other GPS apps will price themselves...either very competitively (in comparison to G-Map) or higher.

williamgallas10

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
Just got a reply from G-Map.

Their representative said that the updated 3.0 version of G-Map should launch "within a week hopefully earlier than Navigon."

For half the USA, the app runs for $24.99. So for a little over $50, you get the entire country. It'll be interesting to see how the other GPS apps will price themselves...either very competitively (in comparison to G-Map) or higher.

G-map is completely useless and a waste of money. I have the current version and hardly use. The database is empty. It wont even show me my local post office etc. Its crap.

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2009
G-map is completely useless and a waste of money. I have the current version and hardly use. The database is empty. It wont even show me my local post office etc. Its crap.

In it's present form, I would agree that G-Map is a bug-ridden mess but hopefully with the update for 3.0, they fixed all of that (Lord knows they've gotten enough e-mail complaints about the bugs).

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008

I would have to completely disagree with you on this one. I have and use G-Map daily and love it. Its not perfect, but is as reliable as our Garmin Nuvi. I have used many different navigation programs over the years... on Windows Mobile and Palm.. and now on iPhone. G-Map is not significantly better or worse than any of the others, and its price is a bargain in my opinion.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
I would have to completely disagree with you on this one. I have and use G-Map daily and love it. Its not perfect, but is as reliable as our Garmin Nuvi. I have used many different navigation programs over the years... on Windows Mobile and Palm.. and now on iPhone. G-Map is not significantly better or worse than any of the others, and its price is a bargain in my opinion.

i agree. i love my g-map app. i dont really understand why people hate it so much. version 1.2 was the best thing on 2.0 software. now that we will see true TBT ill see what map app is the best..

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY

Same reason Google has so many iPhone apps / integration points while simultaneously promoting an entire competing phone ecosystem (Android). The more touchpoints/sales, the merrier, and better them than a competitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.