NAVIGON Mobile Navigator - North America

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by vertigo235, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

2. vertigo235 thread starter macrumors 6502

Found on twitter.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, $69 without any subscription sounds pretty decent for a good GPS app like Navigon.
    I wonder why so much cheaper than the Europe version.
    And is there a way to shut off that Speed assistant feature or you'll keep getting a voice telling you that you're over the speed limit?

4. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Awesome!

5. vertigo235 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes you can turn that off or adjust the speed that sets it off. You could do this in the lite version.

6. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

You'll want to turn that off anyhow. I have a Navigon hardware GPS and the speed information database it has is terribly inaccurate. It will be telling you that you're in a 25mph area when it's really a 45 or 55 in a 65. It will be constantly yelling at you that you're over speed.

As the person above noted, that's how you shut it off.

7. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Looks very promising. Beat TomTom to the market too.

8. sal74 macrumors member

9. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

10. jacobgaul macrumors regular

11. lw9090 macrumors regular

12. fredf macrumors 6502

and how would you compare this to the much cheaper g-maps?

13. lw9090 macrumors regular

Not Cheaper

Its not really cheaper. If you bought both East and West would be $70 for both then add $20 for canada.

I've never tried Gmaps program though so I dont know.

14. gemini81 macrumors newbie

Navigon US-CAN $69

Hmmm...thinking about it!!! I used their LITE version and the UI was sweet! Just like to hear some reviews and then I'll make a final call!!!!

15. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I have an aging Garmin StreetPilot that sometimes just refuses to turn on. I really like the UI from the videos of the Navigon, and for $70 it's a much cheaper replacement for my Garmin. I think that's even cheaper than Garmin's map updates!

Downloading now. Hopefully it doesn't suck! The Garmin was always accurate.

16. fredf macrumors 6502

It's not showing on the Canadian iTunes store at all! Even the free 'lite' version isn't downloadable on the Canadian store.

17. candan9019 macrumors regular

I downloaded the lite version yesterday to check it out, went fine for me. I just checked and your right it won't let you download anymore, weird.

18. HeatherA macrumors 6502

HeatherA

It's not showing in iTunes for me. Just the free trial... and when you try to buy that it says it's no longer available.

19. jacobgaul macrumors regular

i wonder if you can get refunds if it sucks?

Item Amount:
    $72.50 USD
    Shipping:
    $0.00 USD
    Handling:
    $0.00 USD
    Quantity:
    Date:
    Jul. 22, 2009
    Time:
    06:24:32 PDT
    Completed

better work good.

36 minute download oh boy

20. truncj macrumors member

I applaud your bravery and hope for the best. Technically all sales are final based on the Terms of Service. I have had a 99cent app refunded through itunes chat on their site, but $70 might be a stretch.

21. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Alright kiddos, review review review!!!! :D

Love the interface on this app, so I hope this can replace my poor Garmin (it has seen better days :eek:).

22. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Hope so -- Just got back from a 10 minute drive around the neighborhood with it and it is almost unusable (suburbs, not city, so it's not like there's giant buildings in the way). The software looks and sounds beautiful but the GPS tracking is absolutely horrible. First off, it gets easily confused if you take a turn not on the route, taking anywhere from 3-4 minutes to find where you went. 3 to 4 minutes to relocate you via GPS! This is an inordinate amount of time, especially if you are driving somewhere and you don't know where you are going! Also, the screen refreshing is nowhere near as good as my Garmin unit. A series of quick left and right turns had the Navigon behind by a turn.

If you make a wrong turn it will display you on the path it calculated beforehand for up to a minute and then realize that you have made a wrong turn. THEN it will start trying to relocate you which can take another 3 minutes. This is ridiculous.

If this were a free app that came with the iPhone I wouldn't complain. But as a standalone dedicated GPS app that is going for $70 now and $100 later it is not worth it.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure this has to do more with the internal GPS receiver in my iPhone 3GS than anything. I'm sure my dedicated Garmin unit has a much better one, even if it's 4 years old.

I give my Garmin StreetPilot 330 a 9/10 and I give Navigon for my 3GS a 3/10. I wouldn't trust it in any situation where I did not know where I was going, whereas the Garmin I recommend to everyone.

Disappointing to say the least. Now off to contact Navigon for a refund.

23. jacobgaul macrumors regular

sigh how are you going to contact them?

it must be the gps in the phone that is flawed because thats 3 navi programs now that have flopped, att navigator, gmaps or whatever its called and now this..