Navigon MyRegion Issues

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by dsnort, Mar 29, 2010.

1. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Recently dl'd this app, for the most part works great. But I keep having an issue where the app throws in an extraneous exit or two.

For example, I took a trip from central Florida to Augusta Ga. At one point you get on I-95 at Daytona, and stay on in until Savannah. But the app twice told me to exit, once onto US 1 at Bunnell, and again at Crescent Beach.

I knew enough not to exit, and as soon as I went past these exits, the app reset and kept going down 95. But if I hadn't known these directions were wrong, there's no telling where I might have gotten off to.

I like the way the app gives directions, but right now, having a hard time trusting it.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

2. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

Sounds like erratic/weak GPS signal which can be a combination of things. Were you using your phone stand alone or did you have it in a GPS assisted cradle such as TomTom or Magellan?

3. macduke Suspended

macduke

Which route did you select? I know it usually gives you a list of options. Some of them are longer than others and take weird routes, but ultimately get you to your destination. When you pass your exit, it recalculates your route from there, giving your guidance on what to do next based on your current trajectory. At least that is what it has done in my limited testing. I've yet to take it on a long trip or anything.

4. navguy macrumors regular

also check your Route Profile, Routing Type ... depending on what's selected, you might see this behavior - e.g. Shortest route ... Optimum and Fastest, might be your best options to ensure highway driving

5. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

What was such a pain? If your talking about GPS reception....with satellites your dealing with electronic line of sight, orbit (location), atmospheric conditions, terrain, etc... and it's going to be different everywhere you go. That's why I take these "poor GPS signal" reviews in the app store with a grain of salt. Many things can affect GPS signal. To say Navigon's app is responsible for poor GPS reception is a stretch.

I have had good luck just using the phone in stand alone mode inside of an Otterbox sitting on my lap in a rainstorm, but If I were to travel, I would bring my Magellan Car Kit with GPS assist (switching out the phone case first of course). That just makes good sense... It's either that or you'll be taking a chance in an unfamiliar territory with the variables listed above (that's with any Nav app), or you'll be bringing a stand alone unit anyway...so why not just get a car kit with GPS assist.

6. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I use the Kensington window mount and have little to no issues with signal. Best $20 spent ....

I would suggest if your having signal / route issues that you make sure your iphone is properly mounted.