Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeffro

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2009
I've been having similar problems with gaining and losing the GPS signal a lot.

Yesterday, I was reading somewhere (I think on the app store navigon reviews) that someone had luck by making sure Wifi was on. I typically don't have wifi on so I tried this and on my way in to work this morning, I locked on and had a great signal the whole way (around 20 miles).

The jury is still out on if this indeed makes the signal better, but in a very limited test so far, seems to be doing the trick. I have no idea how or why this would be the case though.

FYI that I have my iphone mounted to the windshield with a suction cup mount.

Jeff

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
When I first installed the program yesterday, I had the same problem of not finding my location. However, after reading here and reseting my location warnings, everything worked fine, even in slow 2G edge speed.

sl1200mk2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
I've been having similar problems with gaining and losing the GPS signal a lot.

Yesterday, I was reading somewhere (I think on the app store navigon reviews) that someone had luck by making sure Wifi was on. I typically don't have wifi on so I tried this and on my way in to work this morning, I locked on and had a great signal the whole way (around 20 miles).

The jury is still out on if this indeed makes the signal better, but in a very limited test so far, seems to be doing the trick. I have no idea how or why this would be the case though.

FYI that I have my iphone mounted to the windshield with a suction cup mount.

Jeff

I've only lost signal a handful of times and only briefly (maybe 10 seconds or less), but I have noticed in my case its never happened while in landscape mode. It could be coincidence, but it seems the few times I've used portrait mode I've had the dropped signals. I use a windshield mount as well.

Jeffro

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2009
After more driving around, i'm convinced that turning on wifi makes a big
improvement in signal stability.

jlasoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2006
Orlando, FL
I've had some serious issues with this app in Central Florida in the last few days. Sometimes it works fine, other times its a piece of crap. I have no idea what to do.

Is it only suppose to work 50% of the time? Maybe TomTom knew that the GPS chip within the Iphone sucked and that's why they're releasing the adapter. Who knows, I'm way beyond frustrated.

sl1200mk2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
I've had some serious issues with this app in Central Florida in the last few days. Sometimes it works fine, other times its a piece of crap. I have no idea what to do.

Is it only suppose to work 50% of the time? Maybe TomTom knew that the GPS chip within the Iphone sucked and that's why they're releasing the adapter. Who knows, I'm way beyond frustrated.

Where and how do you have it mounted? Maybe try a little different position or angle. I know it shouldn't matter too much, but if the GPS reception is sensitive it could help. Do you have any aftermarket tint or coating? I've heard (no in relation to iphone GPS -- in general) that some automotive tints interfere with signal reception. I don't know if thats BS or not.

ashley1496

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Where and how do you have it mounted? Maybe try a little different position or angle. I know it shouldn't matter too much, but if the GPS reception is sensitive it could help. Do you have any aftermarket tint or coating? I've heard (no in relation to iphone GPS -- in general) that some automotive tints interfere with signal reception. I don't know if thats BS or not.

Honestly, I've tried EVERYTHING to get this application to work and no hope. I've restored and reset my phone twice (yes as brand new phone) I've synced it with nothing else on it. It is perfectly placed in my car, though I've also tried getting a signal in a completely clear area standing outside still to no avail. Google maps has no issues, except for sometimes putting me in a 1 mile radius when I've been driving in the mountains. For a $70 app this is a little ridiculous. It's obviously not a hardware problem if Google maps has no problem finding a signal. I requested a refund from apple today and got an email back stating a credit will be made into my account in 5-7 days. After the new Tom/Tom gets text to voice and the new dock, I'll buy it.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Honestly, I've tried EVERYTHING to get this application to work and no hope. I've restored and reset my phone twice (yes as brand new phone) I've synced it with nothing else on it. It is perfectly placed in my car, though I've also tried getting a signal in a completely clear area standing outside still to no avail. Google maps has no issues, except for sometimes putting me in a 1 mile radius when I've been driving in the mountains. For a $70 app this is a little ridiculous. It's obviously not a hardware problem if Google maps has no problem finding a signal. I requested a refund from apple today and got an email back stating a credit will be made into my account in 5-7 days. After the new Tom/Tom gets text to voice and the new dock, I'll buy it.

It's very odd, indeed. But it seems like a hardware problem. Google Maps uses GPS and cell triangulation to find your phone. So even if the GPS chip isn't fully functional, Maps will be able to track you pretty well. Navigation apps like Navigon only use GPS.

I'd be interested to hear if you have the same issues with other satellite navigation apps (ie. TomTom, Sygic, GMaps, etc.) without any additional GPS hardware helping your phone out.

phantom5251

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Michigan
So after having gone to the Apple Store, I'm pretty convinced that the GPS problem that everyone has been having could be due to a hardware issue. While doing the restore, etc, etc, it still did not fix the overall issue for me. So I took my phone in to the Genius Bar. At first I don't think the guy thought I knew what I was talking about, because with the triangulation, it locked on to us just fine at the store, however it was not doing the pulsing blue dot. So I took my phone with me ran some more tests around the mall area. Still nothing. I made an appointment to see him again that day at the store, and I must have been able to convince him enough that he allowed me to exchange my 3G out for a new one. Sure enough, this new phone has locked on to a signal every single time. So I really think that it could be hardware issue, or something to do with older phones that the 3.0 software made something go awry. The phone they gave me has 3.0.1 loaded on it. Which could be why some are having troubles, some are not. Just my two cents. But I guess if you still are having troubles, make a trip to the Apple Store and have them check it out, or call/email them if a store is not nearby.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the manual for this app? I was just at the Navigon site and didn't see it listed there.....

iCAR

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
california
I took my case off and immediately got reception. I have a thin snap on case. It might of been coincident, but it works now. I have it mounted next to my car stereo, not on the windshield.

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
I took my case off and immediately got reception. I have a thin snap on case. It might of been coincident, but it works now. I have it mounted next to my car stereo, not on the windshield.

I have issues getting the GPS signal for the last few days. When I bought Navigon, the app was working hell fine. I was holding the Phone in my hand or it was sitting on my leg when driving and absolutely no issue at all. I then installed a windshield mount and was still working fine for a few days. But in the last 4-5 days, when it gets a signal, it just can't calculate the speed. Most of the time, no signal at all.

I will try to restore the phone tonight and see if it's gonna improve the signal.

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm sorry there are people having issues. I have not had such issues with my 3G. As long as it has good line of sight my signal is fine. Unless of course I'm in downtown Chicago where all GPS units have issues.

On a side note I did do a restore and have reset network settings. Both were done in about 30 minutes. Can't say I had reception issues before doing this but I have found the app to load quicker since doing the restore. GPS lock is the same after as before.

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
I have issues getting the GPS signal for the last few days. When I bought Navigon, the app was working hell fine. I was holding the Phone in my hand or it was sitting on my leg when driving and absolutely no issue at all. I then installed a windshield mount and was still working fine for a few days. But in the last 4-5 days, when it gets a signal, it just can't calculate the speed. Most of the time, no signal at all.

I will try to restore the phone tonight and see if it's gonna improve the signal.

I tried a few things today. First, out of the car in a large shopping center parking lot and a clear sky with the phone in my hands, no signal at all...so nothing to do with the clear view of sky.

I thought that I started getting issues after I installed a few other apps and thought that it might be related. I removed all of the last apps I recently installed. I reset position settings and rebooted the phone. Quite strangely, Navigon was working better with good signal acquisition. No signal lost during my 30 min test which is far better than I was getting earlier this morning.

I decided to test it again during lunch. Sometimes I was getting a signal but it had difficulties to track the speed and get an accurate position. Also, when I did not follow the directions and change them and force Navigon to recalculate the route, every single time it was losing the signal. When it finished to calculate, the signal was recovered. So it tells me that every time it was busy doing something else, I lost the signal so my guess is that there is something corrupting the memory or something like that (I'm not an expert in progamming). However, I realize that I had those issues back right after re-intalling Facebook 3.0 app before lunch...don't know if it is related or if it's a coincidence.....:confused: but it was working very fine in my first test this morning.

I am restoring the phone as on Navigon web site and will see tomorrow if it gets better. No other of my recent apps will be re-installed.

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
I tried a few things today. First, out of the car in a large shopping center parking lot and a clear sky with the phone in my hands, no signal at all...so nothing to do with the clear view of sky.

I thought that I started getting issues after I installed a few other apps and thought that it might be related. I removed all of the last apps I recently installed. I reset position settings and rebooted the phone. Quite strangely, Navigon was working better with good signal acquisition. No signal lost during my 30 min test which is far better than I was getting earlier this morning.

I decided to test it again during lunch. Sometimes I was getting a signal but it had difficulties to track the speed and get an accurate position. Also, when I did not follow the directions and change them and force Navigon to recalculate the route, every single time it was losing the signal. When it finished to calculate, the signal was recovered. So it tells me that every time it was busy doing something else, I lost the signal so my guess is that there is something corrupting the memory or something like that (I'm not an expert in progamming). However, I realize that I had those issues back right after re-intalling Facebook 3.0 app before lunch...don't know if it is related or if it's a coincidence.....:confused: but it was working very fine in my first test this morning.

I am restoring the phone as on Navigon web site and will see tomorrow if it gets better. No other of my recent apps will be re-installed.

I restored the Phone according to the instructions. I haven't installed any other app. The more and more I use the phone today, the more and more I'm loosing the signal. I was loosing the signal a couple of times for about 5 sec this morning and now the GPS works about 25% of the time. I'll see if V 1.2 fixes that or I will ask for a refund. There is something wrong with this POS and I don't think it's hardware related.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
Are most or all of the people having issues using a 3G iPhone? I bought Navigon and on my 32 GB 3GS it works perfectly and locks a signal within 2-10 seconds. However, on my wife's 8 GB 3G, it's a bit slower in locking and usage.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
Are most or all of the people having issues using a 3G iPhone? I bought Navigon and on my 32 GB 3GS it works perfectly and locks a signal within 2-10 seconds. However, on my wife's 8 GB 3G, it's a bit slower in locking and usage.
works great on mine

iCAR

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
california
I'm sorry I bought NAVIGON, I been able to get reception a few times for a minute. I tried everything that was suggested in this thread. I removed my case and it worked for a few minutes, then it goes to red. Even out in the open (not in car) it doesn't work. I guess I'll try to get my money back.

I have a 3GS and live in Los Angeles

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Got it back working right...finally

Yes...no single drop in the last 3 days. I was still getting issues with most of the time no signal at all.

When it started to work correctly again I tried to figure out if I've done something and the only thing I did was to clear Safari history. Since then, I keep Safari history clear when I use the GPS and the signal acquisition is pretty fast with no drop at all...:confused::confused:

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Yes...no single drop in the last 3 days. I was still getting issues with most of the time no signal at all.

When it started to work correctly again I tried to figure out if I've done something and the only thing I did was to clear Safari history. Since then, I keep Safari history clear when I use the GPS and the signal acquisition is pretty fast with no drop at all...:confused::confused:

Coincidence.

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007

Yep probably right...but a hell one. Especially since I took the same road and friday afternoon, no signal at all in 2 hours drive on the highway on a clear sunny sky, and tonight no drop on the same 2 hours drive on the same road...and also no drop since friday night, Does Navigon have an erratic performance ...?

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
I really dont think its the apps guys. Small sample size but both I and my parents have Nav and TT. All three of us used it in upstate PA in the mountains and no one had any reception issues. I have a 3GS, dad has a 3G and mom has a brand new 3GS. They then used mom's to come visit in Connect from Delaware and had no issues. Used dad's to travel around Boston no issues and I have never had issues with mine EXCEPT: when in NYC. When you drive around NYC you will experience temporary signal lost depending on where you are...of course if you really need a GPS in NYC then you probably have issues :)

Anyway, all three of us have the Speck hard cases (with the silicon inside) and each of us has a kensington window mount.

Having used many other GPS apps like RunKeeper etc I do find that how the app deals with a low signal is different from app to app. Certain apps probably have a lower tolerance and i bet the GPS apps have built in algorithms to keep you on track if the signal is low until it can reacquire. At some point if it cannot find it will likely then report signal issues. But overall, the GPS is just not as strong as it could be in this phone and in many other phones that I have used frankly.

Just my two cents...

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I'm sorry I bought NAVIGON, I been able to get reception a few times for a minute. I tried everything that was suggested in this thread. I removed my case and it worked for a few minutes, then it goes to red. Even out in the open (not in car) it doesn't work. I guess I'll try to get my money back.

I have a 3GS and live in Los Angeles
Hmm. I live in Long Beach, and have driven all around LA County and OC since I got it. I haven't lost the signal (for more than a moment) once. I've used it every time I've been in the car, regardless of need, because I've been testing it. It's passed my tests with flying colors, and I now feel comfortable recommending the app to anyone who asks. I actually find it more reliable than my stand-alone Magellan.

I have a 3GS too.

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
My Navigon works great here in UK (takes a bit of time to get signal but has neve lost it once locked)

However I wanted to get a switcheasy capsule case and was concerne dit may affect my GPS signal. Anyone have one of these cases and comment on how it has affected the GPS on Navigon?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.