Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Does Navigon give you the option to avoid a specific road or part of a route when planning a trip? I have used a TomTom and that is one feature I really like about it. If Navigon has that I may buy it, I really like the look of it and the lane guidance.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
You can avoid Highways, Toll Roads, Ferries, Residential and HOV lanes. However I don't see how to avoid specific roads (although it does recalculate your route quickly when you deviate).

prominence

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
There actually is an option; it is the "Block Route" feature in the menu; it will ask if you want to block .5 miles in front of you, 1 full mile in front of you, etc. It's a really rocky and odd way to do detours as I am used to Garmin having the simple "detour" button to do a different route, but it doesn't work; e.g. if you select "1 mile" as what you want marked as blocked, it will block 1 mile of road ahead on the current route and then reroute you. However, if you know 5 miles down the road that there is a block, you can't block that as you can only block what is right in front of you for so many miles. It's a really odd feature and they set it up very awkwardly, but it's there and it works.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
There actually is an option; it is the "Block Route" feature in the menu; it will ask if you want to block .5 miles in front of you, 1 full mile in front of you, etc. It's a really rocky and odd way to do detours as I am used to Garmin having the simple "detour" button to do a different route, but it doesn't work; e.g. if you select "1 mile" as what you want marked as blocked, it will block 1 mile of road ahead on the current route and then reroute you. However, if you know 5 miles down the road that there is a block, you can't block that as you can only block what is right in front of you for so many miles. It's a really odd feature and they set it up very awkwardly, but it's there and it works.
its there incase you encounter a traffic jam, and know how long it is for

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008

I really like the TomTom feature that lets you avoid specific roads. After you put in a destination it will show you the route in a list. Then if there is a street or highway you want to avoid you can select that street from the list and avoid it and it will give you a new route with out it. I'm not sure which app to buy, the Navigon looks visually better and the lane guidance with road signs looks helpful. I wish I could try them both first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.