Navigon Question

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by BullittMustang, Sep 6, 2009.

1. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

Does Navigon give you the option to avoid a specific road or part of a route when planning a trip? I have used a TomTom and that is one feature I really like about it. If Navigon has that I may buy it, I really like the look of it and the lane guidance.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You can avoid Highways, Toll Roads, Ferries, Residential and HOV lanes. However I don't see how to avoid specific roads (although it does recalculate your route quickly when you deviate).

3. BullittMustang thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, does it also show the name of the street you are traveling on at all times?

4. Firewolve macrumors member

Yes, it does.

5. prominence macrumors regular

There actually is an option; it is the "Block Route" feature in the menu; it will ask if you want to block .5 miles in front of you, 1 full mile in front of you, etc. It's a really rocky and odd way to do detours as I am used to Garmin having the simple "detour" button to do a different route, but it doesn't work; e.g. if you select "1 mile" as what you want marked as blocked, it will block 1 mile of road ahead on the current route and then reroute you. However, if you know 5 miles down the road that there is a block, you can't block that as you can only block what is right in front of you for so many miles. It's a really odd feature and they set it up very awkwardly, but it's there and it works.

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

its there incase you encounter a traffic jam, and know how long it is for

7. BullittMustang thread starter macrumors 6502a

I really like the TomTom feature that lets you avoid specific roads. After you put in a destination it will show you the route in a list. Then if there is a street or highway you want to avoid you can select that street from the list and avoid it and it will give you a new route with out it. I'm not sure which app to buy, the Navigon looks visually better and the lane guidance with road signs looks helpful. I wish I could try them both first.