Navigon - screen dims after a few minutes

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ErikX, Jul 3, 2009.

1. ErikX macrumors newbie

Hi,

I love the Navigon Navigator, but I have one irritating issue; the screen dims after a few minutes. I have to touch it to make it light up again. It's pretty annoying to have to touch the screen every few minutes..

My Iphone is connected to my Pioneer car stereo via USB, so it's charging while I drive. I'm usually listening to music through the Ipod function.

Anyone know how to prevent the screen from dimming?

Rgds,
    ErikX

2. andyhargreaves macrumors regular

This happened to me for the first time yesterday. I found that quitting and restarting the app once solved the problem. Also the app does recommence navigation where you left off, so it isn't too bad to do this occasionally.

I'm using the GB verison, BTW

3. ErikX thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanx for the feedback.

Restarting the app does not solve this for me. Strange thing is that I had the very same issue on another Iphone 3g that I owned a week ago (it was stolen). Could it have something to do with the fact that I'm playing music and charging the phone while I use Navigon?

4. iSimon macrumors regular

I think that's exactly it - I have the same thing when listening to music on my Alpine head unit, however when it is just connected and charging (but I'm listending to something else) the screen doesn't dim. I have noticed though that when it is playing iPhone music and the Navigon screen dims it will light up again when the track changes. Hopefully Navigon can sort this with an update.

5. ErikX thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm.. maybe I can solve it temporarily by turning off autolock? Will try that later today..

6. iSimon macrumors regular

Yeah that should work just fine - just a pain turning it off and on each time you want to use the app (assuming you don't leave autolock off anyway).

7. ErikX thread starter macrumors newbie

Are there really not more people out there experiencing this annoying issue?

8. johanj macrumors newbie

screen dims

I have the same problem. I use a 3G and an Alpine 104BT. The alpine charges my phone and i play music from the iphone. The screen dims every few minutes and lits up after a i choose a different song or when a new song is started. Maybe the screen also dims on a command of the music? Something to look for when i use it again. Hope that the suggestion made here that the problem is solved by unlocking the iphone will help. This all is really annoying.

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Same issue. Doesn't bug me horribly, but a fix would be nice.

10. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I read that in the FAQ
    I have a Slacker app (internet radio) and they do have the setting to disable Auto lock(dim screen). However I noticed that if I control iPod, receive an email or text, the Auto lock(dim screen) enables again. That's what Navigon is saying about "should yet a new applicatoin start", it's on the OS side.

11. johanj macrumors newbie

Sreen dims

I tried switch off the automatic lock as proposed in an earlier post here. It works! The screen doesn't dim anylonger. I am just downloading the update 1.1.. Let's see if this problem is solved in that version.

12. macedes macrumors newbie

somebody in a german board told me that this bug is fixed when you restore your iphone.

try it out

13. johanj macrumors newbie

update 1.1 doesnt solve the dim problem

I updated Navigon today to version 1.1. The dim problem isn't solved in this version. So for now i still have to turn off the autolock. What do you mean with restore your iphone? How?

BTW: your ipod volume is now dimmed when Navigon gives you voice instructions. You have to fiddle a bit with the volume control in Navigon to give a good balance between music and voice.

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

So the screen doesn't always dim whenever auto lock isn't set to never?

I always have my auto lock set to never and Navigon doesn't dim. But I guess you knew that.

15. vin macrumors member

Sorry to go a bit off-topic, but using Navigon with your Alpine 104bti, are the navigon instructions played over the iPhone's speaker or your cars speakers?

I'm using an Alpine 103bt with my iPhone (connected with the Alpine dock cable and through Bluetooth for handsfree phone function) and am considering the Navigon app, but it's unclear to me how the audio from the Navigon app is played, and how it affects the music playing from the iPhone.

16. iSimon macrumors regular

As long as your Alpine is set to the iPod input then you will receive the navigon voice directions through your car speakers (I have the 103bt with iPhone cable also).

Unfortunately you can't listen to other sources (e.g. radio) and have the navigation intructions come through the car speakers at the same time. This is because with the cable plugged in the iPhone automatically mutes its own speaker and directs audio down the cable - but if the headunit isn't set to the iPod/iPhone source then it disregards what is coming in.

17. vin macrumors member

18. vettori macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

this is a bug of the 3.0 firmware it happens only when using the iPod library.

19. johanj macrumors newbie

Sound

I can comfirm iSimons post. When i want to listen to the radio i have to unplug the BT plug from the iPhone. So you hear the voice through the iPhone speaker which isnt a bad thing actually. On a long trip however you have to plug in again when the battery is about to die.

Sorry for the not so quick response Vin...

Johan

20. ct2k7 macrumors 603

From Navigon's FAQ:

http://faq.navigon.com/opencms/inte...q&topicId_0=121&topicId_1=170&topicId_2=10714

Our software automatically turns off the battery saving function that turns off the screen. Should yet a new application start, like for instance an upcoming meeting, the function is turned on again. Therefore, please always confirm the pop-up to assure that the display isn't turned off.In isolated cases we have heard, that the screen turns dark allthough there wasn't a message or an other application. The cause for this are charging accessories that aren't certified for use with the iPhone 3G or the iPhone 3G S. We therefore would like to advise you to only use accessories that have been certified for use with the iPhone 3G or iPhone 3G S.

21. johanj macrumors newbie

Screen black, not dimming

Hi CTK27
    I read this FAQ also. This concerns your screen go totally black. The matter we described in the posts above is about dimming the screen. Its very annoying because you have to touch the screen to get full clarity again on your screen. With my Alpine i don't have the black screen: I guess this accessore is certified...:)

22. ct2k7 macrumors 603

There was or at least used to be a setting to be able to control this. I remember of 1.0 I used to control when the dimming would occur.

23. curly14 macrumors regular

curly14

I have experienced this bug also and am not even playing the ipod function just the Navi app alone at times it goes into sleep mode when I press the home button then at time the app stays lit so go figure. By the way where did you get the 1.1 update and what version are you running NA or GB and anything new like text 2 speech for streets

24. ThanatosId macrumors regular

ThanatosId

I have the same set-up (pioneer and 3gs). If you control the music through you pioneer, it will reset the power saving feature. Try turning iPod control "on" in the Home --> Double Click section. Once you've done this, you can control your iPod within the Navigon app by quickly pressing the home button twice. Let me know if this helps...

25. johanj macrumors newbie

version 1.1

I updated to v1.1 earlier this week. It was available for the EU version. I don't know if the GB or NA version is all ready on 1.1. I guess your iPhone warns you for the update when it's there when you connect it to iTunes?