Navigon Update and Upcoming Apple Nav

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by stockcerts, Jul 3, 2012.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I've been using Navigon for a few years now and have been mostly happy with it. It was nice getting the update today as it caught me by surprise. I think incorporating street view was a good idea!

I've been reluctant to update my maps as I'm planning on buying the next iPhone (hopefully it's coming soon) and I'm hoping the Apple navigation will be a good replacement for Navigon. I like the fact that you can control it with voice (thanks Siri).

Does anyone else have thoughts about transitioning off a product like Navigon or TomTom? I'll test drive the new Apple navigation and if I'm not happy with it I always have Navigon to fall back on. I think Navigon and TomTom both will need to do everything possible to keep their products noteworthy in light of the fact that the Apple navigation will be provided at no cost.

2. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Until Apple's Maps app is significantly polished by the time iOS 6 launches for everyone else AND has offline maps support, not really.

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I have Navigon but if iOS 6 has decent Traffic, easy Siri access and solid Maps I'm deleting Navigon from my phone.

4. qubeofwar macrumors regular

It would be possible for them to coexist for a while, but one way or another, I believe the Apple Maps will outshine the 3rd party solutions

5. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Not a chance in hell unless Apple has OFFLINE MAPS support.

6. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

It will be interesting to see how this goes. On the one hand, I think Apple will try hard to impress folks with their maps -- the thought of being unfavorably compared to the map source that they dumped must keep them up at night.

But, offline maps must be a sore subject with their map app vendors -- that's really the one last value that the vendors provide. Will Apple be compelled to keep them happy by not offering offline maps?

Regards,
    Tom

7. qubeofwar macrumors regular

Why not? Google was able to do it. I figure Apple will be able to pull that off as well. They will even be the first to do it. :rolleyes:

8. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

Why would Apple care about placating the map app vendors? Apple cares about selling more devices. If they think offline maps will help them do that, then they'll have offline maps. Apple would rather sell a few extra thousand iPhones than get the 30% they get from Navigon. I'm not convinced offline maps will really sway anyone to buy an iPhone who wouldn't have anyway, so I'm fairly certain they won't do it.

9. nutmac macrumors 68040

Offline maps is the reason why I will keep NAVIGON on my iPhone. But iOS 6 Maps app is just so much more responsive with better UI. I hope Tom Tom and NAVIGON take a cue and streamline their clunky UI.

10. Mrfatboy macrumors 6502

The one thing people are not considering is data usage. Verizon's new 'share everything' is very expensive for what you get. 1 GB for $50. If you drive a lot and are constantly using a data connection for your nav app your are going to blow thru your monthly data allowance.

11. qubeofwar macrumors regular

Times like this when we miss the option to have unlimited data on our phones.

12. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I drove to crater lake national park the other day, most of the time my iPhone had no service. For that reason alone I am keeping navigon on my iPhone.

13. Mrfatboy macrumors 6502

Yup. The time you need a gps app the most is where there is no service. That's why I picked navigon :)

I have unlimited data now but will have to give it up when I get the iPhone 5. A bitter sweet day.

14. techiegeek1225 macrumors member

True! I do think that having an offline map support is great. At times that we do not have any internet connectivity, a map's original purpose will justify it. But yeah, it is not that app-maker friendly... :rolleyes:

15. alent1234 macrumors 603

that was in 2009

today a lot of people are getting tired of paying a lot of money for their cell phone bill.

i'm dumping AT&T and going prepaid. the $30 i'm going to buy navigon for is well worth it the $60 or so I will save PER MONTH of having a prepaid carrier

----------

apple maps is based on TomTom's maps which are considered the worst. Navigon uses Navtech which is considered the best

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Mentioned above but locally stored maps are a major point for me. Google offers caching but that workaround doesn't interest me at all. Granted, YMMV. I'll certainly be testing Apple's solution out and using whatever works best in the end for me. Not really sure there's all that much to discuss until it's released.

By who and using what criteria? I've used TomTom quite a bit and have no complaints regarding their maps.

17. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Okay I have two issues with Navigon.

1. After a while of use, my phone locks while the navigation is still running
    2. Sometimes the app quits if its inactive.

How do I stop this??