Navigon vs.Tomtom GPS turn by turn navigation help

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by maflynn, Feb 26, 2011.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's a been a number of threads and reviews on this these apps, but I'm having a difficult time deciding which would be the best option.

Given that they've both been updated since the last set of reviews that I found on the net. What's the consensus on either one?

There seems to be a 50-50 split from what I've found so far.

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I don't mean to hijack the thread, cause I know there are plenty of reasons for getting the paid apps, but I've used the MapQuest app (free) several times now and been very happy with it. May be worth checking out before you spend extra $$. But, like I said, some people need the paid apps so sorry if this is nothing you're interested in.

3. MichXP macrumors newbie

I bought "MotionX GPS Drive" for $.99 and it works great for me.

In fact, iTunes even endorses it in their "App Starter Kit".

4. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Actually I have but so far the reviews are such that navigon and tom tom garner some great reviews

5. Burr510 macrumors member

Burr510

I've tried both Navigon and TomTom.

Both are great apps... you cant go wrong with either.

TomTom is supposed to have better routing.. But over all I prefer Navigon.

Like I said though... you cant go wrong with either.

6. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks, thats kind of what I thought. I'll see if either one has a sale in the coming days/weeks and snag it.

7. Burr510 macrumors member

Burr510

...plus, Navigon is a universal app.

sometimes I plan out a route on my iPad then send it to my iPhone.

8. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Navigon can't get my home location correct and TomTom can so it was really not that hard of a choice for me :D

9. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

Yes, TonTom maps are more up to date. They have my house on their maps, Navigon doesn't....

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I have had positive experiences with Navigon app and TomTom hardware. I basically sold my TomTom for $180 and bought Navigon for $14.99 last month.

11. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I missed the sale and my need for a navigation device is getting more immediate, so I'll need to shell out the $$ for one of them. Based on what I've been reading here and elsewhere it will be Navigon.

I particularly like the 20 traffic add on, its not an annual subscription but a one time fee.

12. Burr510 macrumors member

Burr510

that was a big selling point for me too...

I also got it when it was on sale. I ended up getting Navigon East Region plus the traffic and Panorama View add-ons for the same price of TomTom.

13. sectime macrumors 6502a

I have had the Navigon App since the beginning, and like it. I switched to Verizon Iphone,I downloaded the VZ Navigator App. The in app purchase is only $4.99 per month. I really like the app, does turn by turn, voice etc. The local search uses Bing, I am impressed with it. $10/month is too much but $5 is ok for me.

14. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I have navigation in my car but wanted to have something on my phone for when I am travelling and get a rental. After checking out both apps and talking to friends who have them, I decided to go with Navigon.... simply because I like the interface and graphics a little more. Other than that the apps were pretty much the same.

15. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and opinions. I opted for Navigon. I did take a look at mapquest but was unimpressed with the interface. Plus I was concerned about using when there's little or now cell coverage. The advantage of Tom Tom and Navigon is that it stores the maps on the phone. The downside is a mammoth app consuming a lot of space.

I do believe its a toss up between both Tom Tom and Navigon, but I chose Navigon, because of the interface, one time only traffic report costs and generally more favorable reviews on the net and what not.