Nay idea on Intel tower update?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bhodgson0739, Aug 7, 2007.

  1. bhodgson0739 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2007
    #1
    Hey all,

    I was about to purchase the 2.66 duo intel tower today, when I saw the new imac was released. I'm a film student looking to the tower for muscle but also the ability to upgrade (I have a g4 imac that just won't cut it for video editing and obviously can't be upgraded).

    Does anyone have an idea of Apple's past upgrade trends? I can't think when the towers' chips were upgraded... I don't think it was too long ago. Any indication because of the imac news today the towers might get upgraded/changed in the near future? I don't mind buying now and the towers getting upgraded 6 months down the road, I just don't want to buy now and they get updated in a few weeks.

    I realize also this is all speculation, but anyone think they have a decent guess/idea?

    Thanks!
     
  2. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

    timswim78

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2006
    Location:
    Baltimore, MD
    #2
    The chips were updated in April.

    Lose that zero (g4) and get with a hero (Mac Pro)!
     
  3. Muzzway macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2007
    #3
    Well, the update in April was just to add an octo-core option... The regular Mac Pro hasn't seen an update in a year (exactly, as of today). Updates are coming, but it could be as late as January (or more).
     
  4. cal6n macrumors 68000

    cal6n

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2004
    Location:
    Gloucester, UK
    #4
    Everyone and his dog thinks they have a decent guess but they've all just been pissing in the wind! There should be an update soon but my feeling is that'll just be a minor speed-bump and some more RAM. I doubt you'll see the new chips and chipsets until next year and even then the improvements in real world performance won't be staggering.
     
  5. suneohair macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #5
    An option was added in April. That was all.

    Harpertown and SS chipsets are due by the end of Q4. Which will offer more than a minor speed bump as they are 45nm and have 12MB in addition to higher clock speeds and lower cost. So you are quite wrong cal6n.

    Expect an update by the end of the year.

    Q4 ends at the end of September. So even if there was a delay (doubt it), the end of the year is still likely. I will add this too, the Mac Pro is not a good value for your money at the moment. Of course the ultimate decision is yours but the value is not there.
     
  6. bhodgson0739 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2007
    #6
    Cool, thanks all. I can wait to buy until September or so, so maybe I'll just hang on and see if we see something new. Either way I can't wait to work on a tower and give my wife the g4 imac :D
     
  7. cal6n macrumors 68000

    cal6n

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2004
    Location:
    Gloucester, UK
    #7
    Good call waiting a little longer. You really want to have your system in place as familiar territory before term starts. The Mac Pros are easily up to the task in their current form and the peace of mind is worth more than a speed bump. Coming from a "shaving mirror", you'll be blown away whether Apple update the line or not!
     

Share This Page