NBA Team Jerseys

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by boy-better-know, Jul 26, 2012.

1. boy-better-know, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Hello everyone, just a quick couple of questions.
    I'm English and a huge football (soccer) fan, naturally. Never really been too interested in US sports in any big way, though I do respect them. Therefore I have no idea about how often the jerseys are changed by the teams. English football teams bring out a new kit every year before the new season starts. I want to buy the purple Lakers jersey because I love purple and it looks ace, but I don't want it to be changed as soon as I get it. Can anyone indicate if the current jersey will be changed anytime soon?
    Also, is it worth buying a "swingman" shirt rather than a "replica". I have searched for this but couldnt find anything. Thankyou.

2. tobefirst, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'm not specifically familiar with NBA teams, but the other pro league teams seem to only change their jerseys every handful of years or so. However, the Lakers, like baseball's New York Yankees, are an iconic team; they rarely ever change their uniforms, and generally they are only very minor changes. Here is a website for the Lakers jersey history. My guess is you'd be safe buying now; any changes are sure to be minimal.

EDIT: Here is a link to the difference between the replica, the swingman, and the authentic jerseys.

3. boy-better-know thread starter macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Thanks mate. That website is great. I find it really strange that ypUS sports dont change each year, it is a huge money spinner for clubs.

4. ace198 macrumors regular

Yeah, you'll be fine. I think it's been almost 10 years since the Lakers got a new design but that was for an alternate. The yellow and purple(the ones they wear for the majority of home & away games) are here to stay.

Probably could get a swingman for the same price as a replica if you look around for the internet.

5. boy-better-know thread starter macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Thank you, are the swingmans much if an upgrade from the replicas?

6. Sunfighter macrumors newbie

The replicas are terribly low-quality, especially when put next to a swingman.

The swingman jerseys have logos, names and numbers that are actually stitched to the jersey ... the replicas are all silk-screened....

I prefer authentic/pro-cuts because they are on an entirely different level but perhaps too nice to wear out (great for collectables).

I would NEVER wear a replica but I would wear a swing-man...

7. utahman130 macrumors 6502a

utahman130

The NBA approved a deal to have sponsor patches on NBA jerseys, starting in the 2013-2014 season. Buy the jersey now, before the sponsorship gets stitched on.

From ESPN:

8. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

I agree, if you buy a jersey of a team that's had many championships, they're jerseys probably won't change anytime soon. Well until they get ads sewn into them. I'd say you're safe buying a Lakers swingman jersey, the only mistake you're making is buying a Lakers jersey. ;)

9. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Get an LA Kings jersey, they were successful this year ;)

10. boy-better-know thread starter macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

So I have decided to buy the purple Lakers swingman jersey, thanks for the replies. Can anyone reccomend a site that ships to uk other than the official nba store? It is a bit expensive and I cant find any UK dealers that sell the purple jersey, only the yellow and white seems to be available over here :(

11. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

^^^^
    Perhaps look into purchasing the jersey on ebid for the UK: http://uk.ebid.net

There seems to be a bit of a selection there.