NBC broadcaster John Madden retires

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by rdowns, Apr 16, 2009.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

IMO, his best days as a broadcaster are well behind him. He was a great one for a long time though.

Link

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Agreed... a great coach and the standard as a broadcaster for years
    But it is time

I wish him well... when I first saw the post I thought it said "dies" not "retires"
    Glad to know he has moved on to the post season ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Madden and Summerall were the best team. Once they broke up it wasn't the same.

Looks like NBC's coverage just got worse.

4. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

My only exposure to John Madden was a John Madden Football game I had back when I was a kid.

So the only thing I associate with him is the phrase "pitch to the back".

5. RayStar macrumors member

RayStar

I remember John from the 70's. Always liked him. Laughed at his not flying. Good for him.

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

In recent years it's been more about laughing at ridiculous crap that Madden says than actually appreciating his commentary.

As long as I don't have to listen to Joe Buck I'm happy.

7. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I enjoyed his commentary. Bummer.

Hmm...is this off-topic? What does this mean for the Madden video games? If he will not be doing game broadcasts anymore, would that also mean no more videogame "broadcasts?" Interesting.....

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

EA Sports owns the rights to the game and it makes a lot of money so I don't see it going anywhere.

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I couldn't agree more. Pat and John....... Hope him the best in his retirement!

10. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

Yes, I always felt like it was OK to be nervous about flying if Madden wouldn't fly at all! ;) I'll miss him too, and envy him being retired!

11. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I think he and Al Michael's made a pretty good team, better than most of the current alternatives. I saw an interview with Michael's not long ago where he said he would not work with any other broadcaster. I wonder if he really meant it or was just commenting on their relationship? The radio today said that Madden retired as a head coach after coaching in a superbowl and now he retires after broadcasting a superbowl. He sure knows how to go out on top. I'll miss his fun personality and love for the game. :(

12. Keebler macrumors 68030

aw...bummer! who's going to point out which player is working the hardest based on who has the largest sweat stain on their jersey pants!?

honestly, i like his commentary. My wife, who loves sports, was annoyed by him pointing out what she thought where the dumbest things so I doubt she'll be sad.

13. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

The guy is a legend. Any city you go to, you'll find Raider Fans. That was during his reign.

No matter how stupid some things may seem, they are always in the need of filler to kill dead air time. Sometimes it comes out right, sometimes it doesn't. :D

I'll miss him, there's other announcers who I find much more painful to listen to.

I wonder who's gonna raise those 6 legged turkeys now?

14. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Hopefully, Madden will return to living in the San Franciso Bay Area full time now. Since Electronic Arts is located in the Bay Area they can still have Madden contribute to the Madden NFL franchise on a regular basis. :)

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The real reason he is retiring is because Brett Favre is gone. What will he talk about.

16. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Yes, John was a very good pimp. He pimped Bret Favre, Ray Lewis and Troy Aikmen.

But he really made the NFL.

He was like the Simon Cowell of the NFL. You were't jack until he blessed you.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Same here. I really enjoyed listening to him and will miss him.

18. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Agreed.

19. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Wonder if his decision was influenced by the passing of Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas the other day. He was 73 too...so young. Perhaps he saw that and realized he's had a great career and now it's time to spend more time with family and friends.

20. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How can NBC's coverage get any worse? Honestly it can only get better. Of all the clowns on Football Night in America the only one that I have even the slightest respect for as a commentator is Collinsworth, because he makes intelligent observations and isn't afraid to throw someone under the bus for making a terrible decision on the field.

John Madden certainly deserves all the honors he's going to get as a coach and even as a commentator, but it was crystal clear that he was losing it. Last year he said the word "bootleg" 8 times in one drive, and there was only one play that as a bootleg. He did it in the Super Bowl with the Seahawks and Steelers a few years back. The highlight of his games was in between the third and fourth quarters when we got to hear him drool over the shots of food and make comments to Al Michaels filled with innuendo. It was time to go.

One of my favorite Joe Buck moments was when he offered his analysis of some play, "This play was supposed to.... [whatever]...isn't that right?" To which Troy Aikman responds, "Well, not exactly."