NBC Launches Extensive 'SNL' App Ahead of 40th Anniversary Special

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 12, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

NBC Entertainment today launched a "Saturday Night Live" app which allows fans to browse a catalog of the show's entire forty season-run, eventually learning each user's particular tastes and favorites and subsequently curating videos and sketches for them to view (via Entertainment Weekly).

The app launches a few days before the show's big 40th season premiere this Sunday, and NBC promises the impressive app contains nearly every single sketch the show has done over the decades it's been on the air, amounting to about 5,500 sketches from 800 episodes. The network also says it'll keep the app updated beyond the 40th season premiere with new skits and moments from the newest episodes being uploaded to the app following each new episode of the season.

[​IMG]
    Perhaps the most impressive aspect of the app is that, once it gets a feel for the kind of sketches, music videos, and parody commercials a user enjoys watching, it'll begin personalizing the experience for each user. Those wanting to search for particular sketches, actors, or characters can do just that, too, if looking for a particular aspect of the long-running sketch comedy show.

One of the current cast members, Kyle Mooney, voiced behind-the-scenes support of the app, telling Entertainment Weekly the cast and crew plans to use the app to more efficiently research past sketches when working on new material for the show. As a plus, the SNL app also comes with a keyboard that, when granted access within an iPhone's General settings tab, allows users to send SNL-themed emojis to friends.

SNL can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Update: As several readers have pointed out, the app appears to be U.S.-only.

Article Link: NBC Launches Extensive 'SNL' App Ahead of 40th Anniversary Special

2. lunarworks macrumors 68000

3. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

As usual, if your not American your getting sandbagged by petty region-locking on this one.

4. nutmac macrumors 601

Some UI issues and Facebook login aside, I find the app to be quite remarkable. It is truly filled with a ton of contents and does not require cable/satellite subscription like so many similar apps do these days.

The app features a prominent banner ad on the bottom, but I haven't encountered any video ads (minus SNL parody ads) so far.

5. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Wow this is amazing! Mom jeans! Lake Eerie spring water! Dick in a box! The cat who could drive a car! Deep thought! I know what I'm doing this weekend.

6. CFreymarc Suspended

Now just stream SNL and forget the broadcast network.

7. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

I hope they do the same for The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.

Jimmy's a big tech nerd and has taken the show to the internet age with great use of social media. It stands out then that cord cutters can't watch his show in full. Other than piracy, there's no way to watch the Tonight Show. You can't even buy it on iTunes if you wanted to.

8. gluckett macrumors regular

9. RobNYC macrumors 6502

10. 2010mini macrumors 68040

No native Apple TV support? Really lame.

11. urbanslaughter1997 macrumors regular

To say, "Some UI issues," is an understatement. This is a cool app and there's a ton of content and it's fairly slick. Unfortunately, it's sometimes TOO slick. In some places the interface is about as unintuitive as you can get. Just give me a back button. There were a number of times were I got into one section and couldn't get back to the place I started. Hopefully this will get resolved in an update.

12. BrentD macrumors 6502

Did you try swiping from the left side? Most of the latest app use that instead of a back button.

13. Arcady macrumors 6502

Arcady

They really need an iPad version, and they need to allow landscape mode as well as portrait. And the 4x3 videos need to be un-stretched.

14. Iamthinking Suspended

Kinda ironic since much of the talent (including the exec producer/creator) over the years has come from Canada.

-Iamthinking

15. urbanslaughter1997 macrumors regular

Yeah, that doesn't help.