nbc news website

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Feb 5, 2014.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What the heck happened to nbcnews.com. I'm blasted with gigantic images and trying to see various news items is now impossible.
    [​IMG]

Consider how cnn presents itself. I can scroll down and select the link I want.
    [​IMG]

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Catering to a more mobile OS / Flipboard type look for the next generation?

3. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The mobile website is worse because you have to scroll so much to get to the next story. I may be in the minority but I'd say its not a format I like

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't like it, either. I actually deleted Flipboard from my iPad shortly after I got it because I hated the layouts. They don't make sense to me.

The other trend with news sites I hate is the ever-growing prevalence of video in lieu of written stories. I hate this; I can't "skim" a video. I'd much rather read it anyday.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I can read/skim an article without waiting for the video to load, disturbing someone else because of the volume, etc.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You can thank Microsoft and their stupid GUI for that design.

7. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

NBC just updated their News app, too. I didn't like it before because I thought it was visually unappealing. And I really don't like it now because it doesn't work as well. Visually it looks better, so hopefully they can work out the bugs.

8. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Oh great, they've turned the NBC news site into a freakin' comic book.

9. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

But MS and NBC have split - I would have thought NBC would go in a different direction for branding.

I've removed it from my favorites, no use going there since getting news seems like an exercise in frustration.

10. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I just noticed that the NBC Sports Extra app that will carry live Olympic coverage got a makeover in line with the web and News app. Looks like they did an across the board makeover to unify and show off the new look for the Games.

11. AmmarMac macrumors newbie

Nbc

NBC is more clustered. More difficult to understand images when watching through mobile devices. I more like cnet, techcrunch, very clean and interactive images on their sites

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Wow - usually I feel all these website redesigns which elicit so much outrage are way overblown: but this is downright awful. :eek:

13. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Ummmm .... what?

14. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

He said..."You can thank Microsoft and their stupid GUI for that design"

Terrible when you start to lose your hearing, isn't it?:(

;):p

15. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I know.

I'm just wondering how we can blame Microsoft. This isn't really Metro UI on their site.

16. iKinetic macrumors newbie

Wow, that's bad. I used to be a frequent visitor of nbcnews.com but I can't take this new layout. So disorganized..

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

nbcnews.com used to be my go-to news website. Not anymore.

First time I saw it, I reloaded the page because I thought it loaded wrong. I couldn't believe anybody had intentionally designed it this way.

Looks like nbcnews.com's new look is getting almost universally panned.

I cringe at the thought of going back to cnn.com (too much fluff, not enough news), but until they fix this, and fix it right, I will be getting my news elsewhere. Life is too short to spend scrolling though random content.

18. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Technically NBC isn't a news site, it's targeted news site. After you watch Al Jazeera or RT news for a week, NBC news is like the tonight show.

19. simsaladimbamba

What about using BBC or Al Jazeera for getting news content, or do you frequent NBC or CNN for the more national news?

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Personally I liked the layout of the old NBCNews site. Of all the news sites in my browser (USA Today, BBC, Reuters, CNN, WaPo, LA Times, McClatchy, NYT, AJE, ABC, CBS), it had what I thought was the best combination of easy-to-read layout and non-subscription content.

But this...I predict somebody is going to lose their job over this one. NBC News may not be perfect, but it has a reputation for journalistic quality, at least compared to Fox, CNN, etc. How the hell could they turn it into freakin' Tumblr???

21. citizenzen, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014

citizenzen macrumors 65816

I agree. Like another member wrote, NBC was my go-to site for shallow, America-centric news (so sue me for being shallow and American-centric).

The site had a tendency for repeating a story down the page and I didn't like how it handled video (ESPN does it right), but it had the clearest and best organized layout of any of the major news sites IMO.

Now it's just ... :eek::confused:

If this is the future, I don't like it.

Looks like a good time to switch. I'll take another look around and see who I like best now. The winner certainly won't be NBC. I will report back with findings.

Edit: On a related note, The New York Times website, which for years has been a huge mess, recently cleaned up their design. They kept the same flavor of their previous layout, but made it far cleaner and easier to read and navigate. Perhaps it's time for an e-scription to the NYT.

EDIT II: Subscribed to the NYT for the education rate of $10 per month for computer and tablet access.

Buh-bye NBC.

22. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

this.
    i especially hate when videos "ambush" you, or when the video is the only 'article" available

has far as NBC news, it is really horrible. basically mimics a tabloid-like outlet, both in layout and content.

and don't even get me started on their craptastic job on the olympics...