NBC says Fallon to succeed O'Brien on 'Late Night'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, May 12, 2008.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gG42WUKXbqIj-XXOx9cBfkwdPQ4wD90KDKM80
    NEW YORK (AP) — Jimmy Fallon's eighth-grade yearbook at St. Mary of the Snow in Saugerties, N.Y., listed him as "most likely to take over for David Letterman." Letterman's not going anywhere, but close enough: Fallon is succeeding Conan O'Brien as the host of NBC's "Late Night" sometime in the middle of next year.

NBC on Monday made official a plan that's been talked about since 2003, when a network executive first broached the idea of doing a talk show with the former "Saturday Night Live" star.

"I've been doing a monologue in my living room the last three years and it was embarrassing," Fallon joked at a news conference.
    However, he said, "my wife seemed to like it."

NBC's plan is to have O'Brien move west to take over for Jay Leno at the "Tonight" show next year. After a break to refurbish the Rockefeller Center studio where O'Brien now works, the 33-year-old Fallon will take over.
    The Fallon transition is being managed by Lorne Michaels, who famously picked O'Brien out of obscurity to fill Letterman's old slot at NBC, then stuck with him despite savage early reviews.

Fallon, who left "SNL" in 2004 for a lukewarm movie career, should have an easier time of it, he said.

"You're never really certain of these things, but I just think he's built for it," Michaels said. "You've just seen that he's really funny, he's smart and he has a really, really good work ethic."

Despite its prime-time woes, NBC has managed to maintain its late-night dominance in the ratings, although O'Brien has been challenged lately by Craig Ferguson on CBS. Now it is attempting a tricky transition based on a promise made nearly four years ago that O'Brien would succeed Leno.
    Leno continues to be the king of late-night, and NBC is trying to keep him at NBC Universal with some job other than "Tonight" host. If NBC were to renege on the deal made to O'Brien, the "Late Night" host would reportedly be owned a penalty fee of about $40 million.

Jeff Zucker, NBC president and CEO, would not comment Monday on the state of talks with Leno, or what NBC is offering. Leno would undoubtedly draw interest from ABC and Fox if he wanted to work the same hours.
    "That's something he's got to decide and I think that's the question," Zucker said. "That's a good question. I don't think he knows."

2. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Fantastic, now I have someone else who isn't funny that I get to ignore!

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't like Leno because he isn't funny at all. I want to kill Jimmy Fallon with his own mic.

4. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Couldn't agree more. I can't stand him. Ugh.

5. iowamensan macrumors 6502

By the way... YOU"RE WELCOME!!

Attached Files:

6. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

That about sums it up for me as well.

I'm glad Conan will be on earlier so I might actually catch the show every now and then, but it's too bad they couldn't find someone better than Fallon to take his old spot.

7. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

Boo. He's not even funny. I mean, have you seen Fever Pitch or some of his other movies?

Jay Leno is the best although Conan can be funny.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Unless that's an animated GIF of Jimmy Fallon getting killed with his own mic, I don't want to see it.

9. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I don't find him very funny, but he has a huge following.

And is it just me, or can he not contain his laughter in a skit? I never saw him with a straight face on SNL. I suppose that added to his charm, but it almost destroyed the skit.

They can put a monkey on Late Night - it's the writers that make it work.

10. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

All I can say is Fallon is better than Carson Daily.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I know that two different meanings of the word are used here, but does anyone find the title of the thread a bit weird, seeing as how Fallon will succeed O'Brien soon, but probably won't succeed at it? No? Ok then....

12. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

I think you're reading too much into it... :)

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

O'brien is the best of them right now, so i'm happy to see him moving up. Fallon isn't all that great, but maybe if he's lucky it'll be better than any of his movies, doubtful though.

14. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

It will all depend on the writers he gets. How may skits did he write on SNL.

The other question is if Leno walks would ABC dump Kimmel.

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the best writers can't help you if you can't deliver it right, and i'm not convinced yet that Fallon can.

Leno's future is up in the air. who knows what he will do at this point, but i really don't see him leaving.

16. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Leno is already out as far as The Tonight Show goes. NBC is going to try to keep him around but if Fox or ABC offers him a late night deal he will take it.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i thought leno wanted out of the night spot though? i could be wrong on that though.

18. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

It was really a force out by NBC, they didn't want to lose Conan to another network so they gave him the Tonight Show.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I too believe Fallon will prove to be a light-weight after Conan.

But it is, after all, 12:35 AM, so perhaps they have lowered their expectations.

Time will tell.

20. macwall macrumors 6502

"lukewarm movie career?" try "complete failure"

21. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I rarely watch late night shows since I could care less about celebrity interviews, but Conan is a great host, way better than Leno or Letterman and really quick witted. I always thought Fallon was super annoying and never found him funny. Hes one of my top 3 most annoying and over hyped SNL actors, Fallon, Chris Kattan, and Martin Short. Steve Martin has more of a talk show host air about him. Chris Rock would have been good, hes one of the best hosts for those award shows and is good at getting interviewed.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The problem with Steve Martin and Chris Rock is that they actually HAD their own shows, and it never worked.

23. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I don't know what Fallon could possibly bring to late night, aside from a pretty face.

When I hear Leno, Letterman and O'Brien, I immediately think of three well-spoken comedians with quick wit, subtle humor and wry sarcasm. Maybe the execs know something I don't, but, the last I checked; Fallon didn't offer any of that.