NBC's Jesus Christ, Superstar

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Thomas Veil, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Dummy. I was so upset with myself for forgetting to set my DVR for this. But I just found and watched it on the NBC app.

Oh. My. God.

That may have been the most powerful thing I've ever seen on television.

Granted, I was well familiar with the work because I'm old enough to remember the very first release on vinyl. I also saw the movie once. But there was an immediacy to this and a (no pun intended) passion that I'd never felt in the other versions.

John Legend was good in the title role, but the biggest kudos belonged to Norm Lewis, who was an absolutely evil Caiaphas; Brandon Victor Dixon as a spiritually tortured Judas; Ben Daniels as Pontius Pilate; and Sara Bareilles, beautifully emotive as Mary Magdalene.

And as many times as I've heard this music, watching the ending just about reduced me to tears. It was that sad.

Good job on NBC's part. Only three criticisms.

One, the actors weren't particularly emoting at the beginning, although that improved later. It was as if they forgot they were on TV, where close-ups of expressionless faces look awful.

Two, Alice Cooper really just needed to play his ****ing role and stop standing there soaking up the audience adulation.

And three, even though NBC did this on a stage, they probably should've filmed it without an audience. I know we all love the songs, but the audience burst into applause way too many times, sometimes in the middle of a song. Every time they did it it had the effect of bringing the production to a halt.

But overall, that was one of the best things I've ever seen on TV.

2. JackieInCo Suspended

Although I have been a lifelong fan of the original concept album of JCS and then later, the movie, I recorded this NBC production on my DVR. It was OK but I truly think Alice Cooper WAS the star of the entire production. Too bad he was King Herod so he had only the one appearance.

The online reviews mostly praised this production and apparently they knew who this John legend person was who played Jesus, yes for me, this was the first time I've ever heard of him.

I own every version of the musical ever released on album/DVD and besides Alice Coopers appearance, this was my least favorite.

My DVR cutoff the last few minutes of the show so I missed Alice Cooper coming out at the end.

The outfits Caiaphas and friends wore in the production were truly outstanding.

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

4. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Oh you'll HATE this one:

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Honestly I thought the audio mix was horrible. And the broadcast did not translate as well on the stage.

6. samiwas macrumors 68000

I watched the whole thing up through King Herod before moving to my downstairs office, then forgot to turn it back on. When I remembered, they were doing bows. Need to go find it so I can watch the remainder.

I, too, thought it was a spectacular performance. I was expecting a complete train wreck, but was pleasantly surprised. JCS has always been one of my favorite musicals.

I agree...I found the audience cheering quite distracting and too much in the mix on several occasions.

Disagree. I thought Cooper was straight up boring in the King Herod role. Herod is supposed to be larger than life, flamboyant, and loud (at least in every production I've ever seen or heard). This was basically him reciting the words.

The movie version is still my favorite, but I found the music arrangement in this one to be very well done. I loved some of the extra funkiness in it. In fact, it might actually top the movie version.

7. JackieInCo Suspended

I will always enjoy the original movie even though it's so dated now, I watch it several times a year and will until I leave this earth. It's just classic. My parents took me to see it when I was barely a teen.

Have you seen the Live Arena Film from a few years ago? That one is well worth seeing also. They brought in a bit more of todays tech to modernize it a bit more such as tablets.

Theres also a year 2000 DVD version out but I don't recommend that one. The man who plays Jesus has a ridiculous irritating (to me) look on his face throughout and I often just wanted to punch it off his face.