Near catastrophe with my iPhone 3G - water damage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crmpicco, Dec 11, 2011.

1. crmpicco macrumors member

crmpicco

I had a near-catastrophe with my iPhone 3G last night.

It was sitting on my table and I knocked a glass of juice over it. :eek: I managed to wipe the juice off it in seconds, but I believe some of the liquid got into the call speaker at the top. I tried to make a call out, but couldn't hear a thing. Similarly, when I made a call to another phone they couldn't hear me which was strange as I don't think the liquid got to the mic :confused:

Anyway, I went to bed raging :mad: last night but gave it a few hours on top of the radiator this morning and afternoon and it's back to normal!!

Just a tip for anyone who makes the same mistake. ;)

Cheer,
    Picco

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It will probably die soon, as the damage doesn't just go away.

3. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Agreed. Sticky juice, the phone was used while "wet" and a radiator. I'm guessing that, unfortunately, it will stop working properly soon.

That sucks. It could happen to any of us (despite what folks on here say).

4. Thnkdifferent macrumors member

Thnkdifferent

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If you have the 3G you qualify for an upgrade. Use it. You will not regret it.

5. thekev, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I don't understand how people do not get it, don't use the damn thing while wet. Turn it off immediately and leave it off for a few days, or just turn it off and take it in so they can clean the interior properly.

6. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

They don't understand that water and electronics don't mix. It'll start having issues soon and he'll realize that he should have let it dry properly.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I think people understand it just fine. What they don't understand is just how long these things can take to truly dry out. Most people leave it a day, assume it has dried out, turn it on, are happy to see it working, some fluid shifts, and the phone is dead within hours or days.

8. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Just to show the difference:

I was very ill, due to some medications I was on and didn't know it. At the time I had the Palm Pre, one night I got very dizzy and dropped it in a full bathtub. I pulled it out, yanked out the battery and stuck everything in a bag of rice, set in a warm location for several days. That little sucker still works!

My son, however, got a brand new HTC Evo 4G wet and didn't know he should do that....it was toast! I ended up having to have him file an insurance claim and pay a $100 deductible.

Do not leave a phone on that has gotten wet like that! If you want any hope of using it, again, let it dry for several days.

9. crmpicco thread starter macrumors member

crmpicco

Cheers for the replies, looks like i've made an error here. I'm at work just now so I can't let it dry out completely, however, tonight, it's going on the radiator!

10. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Use rice as that will pick up moisture and turn it off right now!