near random freezes

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by phrehdd, Mar 6, 2014.

1. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I have a 2012 Mac Mini 2.6, Crucial 2x 8g memory and Samsung 840 Pro 512 SSD internal.

Once in a while, my entire system locks up. I believe most of the times it is with either Safari or Firefox being used. I tend to keep both open for days at a time (though my system is put in sleep mode at night).

Any thoughts as to what might be causing the problem? I have to reboot to get back my system operation.

Additional - I use the trim enabler and also the smart fan control (when doing CPU intensive work).

Thanks in advance to any and all

2. dudedude macrumors member

I tried to research this more but couldn't really get a definitive answer. Some people say that sleep mode might not be the best thing for an SSD. Not sure if it's causing your issues but might be something to consider.

3. phrehdd thread starter macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I am not sure how this would apply but I do appreciate the response and will investigate it. Usually, my system is up and running for a while so it didn't come to mind that sleep mode would have an impact. Thanks for a new direction to research.

4. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Might be a RAM issue. Try swapping positions with RAM modules and/or 1 module at a time.

5. rndman macrumors member

I don't think it is RAM. Because I have seen this with my new mini 2012 (i7 base) with stock RAM. Though it happened may be 2 or 3 time until now, it's hard to pin point..

6. MacFeezes macrumors newbie

I Just purchased a late 2012 Mac Mini, quad core i7, 1TB 5400 rpm drive, 4gb memory. Got it from Best Buy and have made no aftermarket alterations. My Mini has frozen twice since I bought it (Feb 27th-ish). The first time I wrote it off as a fluke but this time i'm getting worried. I did a quick search and it doesn't seem like an entirely uncommon problem. Both times that it happened I was surfing the internet using firefox and not doing anything else that would tax the system. Itunes might have been on in the background.

My question is this. If I return my mac mini to best buy will this solve my problem? Do most people out there have mac minis that have never frozen before? I plan on using the mac mini for music production and would REALLY appreciate a computer that I can rely on to not crap out on me. Especially a brand new $800.00 one.

7. lookthering macrumors newbie

Have been going through the same issue

I bought a macmini 2012 end of last year. I did upgrade the ram to 8Go (corsair) and have been experiencing random freezes since then. The cursor would freeze and nothing could be done - only option left was a physical shutdown.

This issue is a pain as it was happening randomly with no specific warning. I suspected various softwares that would not be compatible with 10.9 upgrade but could not identify any.

I passed all the tests available and everything seemed fine. The only thing I noticed was that after the reboot the screen will show some wierd pictures.

I admit that I was close to throw this thing away.

2 weeks ago I decided to change the RAM and ordered 16G from crucial+reinstalled OSX on a fresh new SSD.

The mac mini has been running 24/7 for the last week - the issue seems gone.

I do suspect (but not sure) that some memory are passing all the tests and are given for compatible but can generate some random issues.

Hope you all find a way to fix these things as it is quite painfull.