Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Hello everyone,

I've been using iOS 9 beta for a while now and it runs perfectly on my iPhone 6. Especially since beta 5, everything feels incredibly smooth. In fact, it feels more stable than iOS 8.3 felt to me.

Anyway, I have a question about something that the new Search should be providing. And that's suggestions for locations nearby. I've seen all those pictures and of course the announcement of iOS 9 where they showed off how these suggestions are given. So far, I haven't noticed them at all. See screenshot for reference (it's Dutch by the way).

IMG_2393.JPG

As you can see, it only shows contact suggestions, app suggestions and news. No 'nearby'. I might have missed something, but could it be possible it's limited to specific countries? Wouldn't be surprised about this, but maybe there's an option I have missed (though I did check that kind of stuff out already).

It's not only that by the way. Somehow the Calendar app won't add events from Mail. I've made some examples by sending a mail with date and all to one of my other mail accounts. And nothing is added to the Calendar. Strangely enough it didn't either with iOS 8 (with that top bar in Mail when a date is detected). It seems like a feature that is not location based. :p

Anyway, would be great if someone can help me with this. Thanks in advance!

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Settings > General > Spotlight Search > toggle Maps on.

As for dates and such in emails. They don't get auto added. You'll see a button at the top in the specific email to add the event from within the email.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2013
Settings > General > Spotlight Search > toggle Maps on.

As for dates and such in emails. They don't get auto added. You'll see a button at the top in the specific email to add the event from within the email.
That option in Settings is turned. Tried turning it off and back on, doesn't seem to work.

And I've never seen such a button in my mails. I do see that the date and all is transformed into a link. When you tap on it, it shows the option to add it to Calendar. But according to Apple, events should be added automatically in iOS 9. This is what Apple's site says:

"If you get an email with a flight reservation or a restaurant confirmation, iOS 9 can create a suggested event in Calendar for you." (mentioning this since it seems like you don't know about this feature being in iOS 9)

EDIT: Now that's strange. I just decided to try it again, but now with everything written in English instead of my native language (Dutch). Turns out that actually works. Well, at least... It now shows that top bar in Mail, showing that it has notified a date.

Really weird. I mean, it doesn't work when written in Dutch, it does when written in English. xD

Last edited:

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That option in Settings is turned. Tried turning it off and back on, doesn't seem to work.

And I've never seen such a button in my mails. I do see that the date and all is transformed into a link. When you tap on it, it shows the option to add it to Calendar. But according to Apple, events should be added automatically in iOS 9. This is what Apple's site says:

"If you get an email with a flight reservation or a restaurant confirmation, iOS 9 can create a suggested event in Calendar for you." (mentioning this since it seems like you don't know about this feature being in iOS 9)

I do know about the feature in iOS 9.

Here is an image. Just quickly emailed myself a test email to show you the button.

As for the Nearby. It might not be available in some places yet. (For me in Canada turning the Maps toggle in the menu I mentioned earlier turns "Nearby" on and off in the Proactive Search screen.)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    135.8 KB · Views: 108

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2013

Here is an image. Just quickly emailed myself a test email to show you the button.

As for the Nearby. It might not be available in some places yet. (For me in Canada turning the Maps toggle in the menu I mentioned earlier turns "Nearby" on and off in the Proactive Search screen.)
Sorry about that. :p

But Nearby may indeed not be available everywhere yet. Just read about it in some article. And as of the Calendar functionality, it appears that it's only added automatically in specific circumstances. So it might not just happen with every single date mentioned in the Mail app.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida

Looks like I'm late to the party :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.